Sick as a dog

Let'sgoflying! said:
Diana check the dates, someone has reactivated a Post from the Past.
Oh, oops. :)

Well, while we're talking about being sick...my new horse friend that comes over to see me LOVES to eat the hedge apples under our tree. Is it OK to let him eat them? I wonder if there is any nutritional value in hedge apples?

Not familiar with hedge apples but most apples have little useful nutritional value and lots of horses have choked on them.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Not familiar with hedge apples but most apples have little useful nutritional value and lots of horses have choked on them.
Dave, I looked them up on the net and found a site that describes them.

http://hedgeapple.com

One of the things that it says is: "...hedge apples have suffocated livestock by lodging in their esophagus. My father-in-law lost one cow that way." Wow, you were right! Not that I'm surprised. :)

Here's a few pictures of our hedge apples.

Hedgeapples, OK - they look like something called osage orange and some call them horsechestnuts here.

Len Lanetti said:
Well, one good thing came of it...I now know what the things I've always called monkey brains really are...hedgeapples.
LOL! See, you can talk about anything here and somebody learns something somehow. :D

I don't think Toby would want to nap under this tree at the farm. Those things are heavy and would hurt if they fell on you. :yes:

Funny, but I always thought those things were called monkey, er...brains. We actually called them something a little less politically correct that starts with "b" and I don't want to offend, but I'm sure you get the idea.

I guess it all depends on where you're from.

Hedgeapples. I learned something new too. :)

Carolyn

Diana said:
LOL! See, you can talk about anything here and somebody learns something somehow. :D

I don't think Toby would want to nap under this tree at the farm. Those things are heavy and would hurt if they fell on you. :yes:
BONK!

I think next time I'll sleep in the potato patch (watching out for the pitchfork, of course).

Back