SIC Rating

Stache

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Stache
The FAA is amending its pilot certification regulations to establish a second-in-command (SIC) pilot type rating and associated qualifying procedures. This final rule is needed to conform FAA pilot type rating requirements to the International Civil Aviation Organization pilot type rating standards.
The intended effect of this action is to allow U.S. flight crews to continue to operate in international airspace without the threat of being grounded for not holding the appropriate pilot type rating.
The rule becomes effective on September 6, 2005.
FMI: http://dms.dot.gov/search/document.cfm?documentid=341296&docketid=19630, http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/p81/341296.pdf, http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf92/341296_web.pdf

Stache

How much easier is the SIC rating going to be to get from a regular Type rating?

Why not just force the Airlines to type rate all co-pilots.

Eamon said:
How much easier is the SIC rating going to be to get from a regular Type rating?

Why not just force the Airlines to type rate all co-pilots.

Wouldn't really take all that much. The ride for all practical purposes is the same either way. At least at UAL. It makes a bit of difference just who conducts the ride, but with just a few exceptions, the rides are the same.

Ron Levy said:
As I understand it, this is an issue for corporate types, not air carriers.

Even all the Corp pilots I know are "PIC-rated" in the planes they fly with 2 required members. Not sure what the SIC will do when you're already rated to be PIC.

All this 135-121 stuff is new to me. I am still totally lost. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Thank You in advance :)

Eamon said:
All this 135-121 stuff is new to me. I am still totally lost. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Thank You in advance :)

That's kind of like asking someone to read the whole book to you. Can you be more specific to what you want to know?

Richard said:
That's kind of like asking someone to read the whole book to you. Can you be more specific to what you want to know?
I would like you to explain all the rules of part 135 & part 121 to me. Thank you in advance.

N2212R said:
Even all the Corp pilots I know are "PIC-rated" in the planes they fly with 2 required members. Not sure what the SIC will do when you're already rated to be PIC.
If the SIC is already PIC type-rated, it won't matter, but there are a lot of corporate co-pilots who don't have the type rating -- mostly as a matter of cost-saving for their employer. This won't make those folks get an SIC type for ops in the USA, but it will create the currently-non-existent opportunity for them to get it if they fly somewhere overseas where it's needed.

We just got a memo at my carrier saying everyone (FO's) would be getting an 8710 in their box. We're to fill it out and return it no later than Aug 30th in exchange for a temp cert. Any idea of how many FO's are out there in the industry? We have 350 and we're a small company. It's gotta be well into the thousands, at least... I can't imagine what this will do to the processing time for certificates at OKC.

Speed said:
We just got a memo at my carrier saying everyone (FO's) would be getting an 8710 in their box. We're to fill it out and return it no later than Aug 30th in exchange for a temp cert.
Sounds like it's going to be a rubber stamp for SIC's qualified under 121. Anyone heard anything about 135-qualified SIC's?

Any idea of how many FO's are out there in the industry? We have 350 and we're a small company. It's gotta be well into the thousands, at least... I can't imagine what this will do to the processing time for certificates at OKC.
Gonna be a big wad of paperwork for the FSDO's overseeing 121 carriers, too.

It's the same for 135 and 121 and really not all that different for someone flying under part 91. You must be able to produce a signed logbook or training records that indicate you have completed the training that is required (121/135/61 sic training qualifies). You must have an 8710 with the instructors recommendation completed by either an authorized trainer or management personnel from a commercial carrier. Management personnel are listed as Chief Pilot, Director of Training, or Director of Operations.

Quinn

Back