Sibling rivalry? Mooney vs Grumman

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
The seller's name caught my eye on this one...

http://barnstormers.com/cat.php?mode=search&PHPSESSID=43ebe79aed6ee575e1f7b8f7d7ee587d

1970 MOONEY M20C RANGER • $62,500 • AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE • N9484V, 5050 TT, 285 SMOH , IFR, King Digital Avionics, Low time Engine and 285 SNEW 3 blade prop. • Contact Rob Levy - SHENANDOAH CHARTER SERVICES located Weyers Cave, VA USA • Telephone: 540-849-0823 • Posted March 6, 2005

That's too funny. I know "Ron" Levy has a healthy respect for Mooneys as do I, but I know he is the proud owner of a Grumman, not an M20C. Now if it were "Len" Levy, I'd be suspicious. :)

Which begs the question, are there any similartities between the M20 series and the AA5x seiries? My information tells me no. The Piper Comanche has more in common with the M20 than the Grummans. Isn't the Comanche wing and the Mooney wing very similar or the same?

Well, how about this to bend your mind:

Sun 'n Fun 2005 - Day 2
A blue-skied day two of Sun 'n Fun included a presentation of the one-of-a-kind Mooney Tiger to the Florida Air Museum. Attendees included Mooney CEO Gretchen Jahn, Sun 'n Fun and museum officials, the media and the airplane's original pilot. Developed in 1989 - '90 as a contender for the U.S. Air Force's primary-trainer contract, this is one fast plane. It exhibits the power of a big cat and its sleek look. Its black-and-orange paint scheme and Bengal tiger-like stripes should make the airplane an especially big hit with kids. “We’re pleased to accept the generous loan of the Mooney Tiger," said Greg Harbaugh, Florida Air Museum director, "and look forward to the inspiration the aircraft will give young people as they develop a passion for aviation.”

Pictures here:

http://www.mooney.com/news/sunnfun2.html

Anthony said:
Which begs the question, are there any similartities between the M20 series and the AA5x seiries?

Both are flown by really cool pilots. Wouldn't you agree Anthony?

Grumman Tigers and Mooney M20Cs both have O360 engines having 180HP.

The AA5 Traveler was turned into the Cheetah AA5A and the Tiger AA5B by Roy LoPresti.

The M20F Executive was turned into the M20J 201 and M20K 231 by Roy LoPresti

Len

My attempt at humor was implying that Ron "Grumman" Levy may have a brother Rob "Mooney" Levy and that the sibling rivalry "Grumman vs Mooney" discussions would be fun to watch at mom's dinner table ... a bit too subtle, I guess.

Mooney Aircraft in the News

LATEST NEWS
San Antonio Business Journal - 3:44 PM CDT Wednesday
Mooney Airplane names Long Beach firm as its California distributor

http://www.bizjournals.com/search/b...&am=sanantonio&q=""&f=byline&am=120_days&r=20[font=Times New Roman,Times,Serif]Mooney Airplane Co. designated USAero LLC as the company's exclusive distributor for the California market.

Long Beach, Calif.-based USAero LLC will be Mooney's official point of contact for all sales of the M20 piston-powered aircraft. All five models of the M20 are manufactured at Mooney's headquarters in Kerrville.

David C. Copeland, vice president of sales and marketing for Mooney, says the company selected a well-regarded aircraft sales organization to represent Mooney's airplanes.

"They have an impressive track record in new aircraft sales in recent years throughout the western United States. We are pleased that they have decided to join the Mooney team," he says.

USAero is opening a new 12,500-square-foot hangar at the Long Beach Airport that will feature a showroom space for aircraft and offices for the company's sales staff.

Mooney is a subsidiary of Mooney Aerospace Group Ltd. (OTCB: MNYG). Since being founded in Kerrville in 1946, the company has manufactured more than 10,000 aircraft that have been sold worldwide.

[/font]

© 2005 American City Business Journals Inc.

gkainz said:
My attempt at humor was implying that Ron "Grumman" Levy may have a brother Rob "Mooney" Levy and that the sibling rivalry "Grumman vs Mooney" discussions would be fun to watch at mom's dinner table ... a bit too subtle, I guess.

I got it Greg. Just thought it would start a nice Grumman vs. Mooney comparison thread. Intersting that Mooney developed a "Tiger", now that would be a fun airplane!

Anthony said:
I got it Greg. Just thought it would start a nice Grumman vs. Mooney comparison thread. Intersting that Mooney developed a "Tiger", now that would be a fun airplane!

Actually, according to the pirep I read, it wasn't all that fun :( They said the controls felt like they were stuck in cement.

pete177 said:
........No

Care to elaborate? Or do you just want to quell any discussion whatsoever? Are they completely different airfoils. NACA numbers?

Quell any discussion? how so? Discuss all you like. You asked if the wings were the same, they're not. You dont have to believe me, makes no difference to me. You want proof, do your own research.
Pete

Anthony said:
Care to elaborate? Or do you just want to quell any discussion whatsoever? Are they completely different airfoils. NACA numbers?

pete177 said:
Quell any discussion? how so? Discuss all you like. You asked if the wings were the same, they're not. You dont have to believe me, makes no difference to me. You want proof, do your own research.
Pete

Well when you just offered a "No", it seemed less than an explanation of the origins of the Mooney wing. I should have just asked what type of wing does a Mooney M20 have. My mistake, I should have spelled it out.

And I thought asking aviation related questions on a board like this was doing research. Sorry, guess I just got used to the nice folks here who would offer up more information than a one word negative response. :confused:

Last edited:
Back