SI Sleep Apnea 3rd class and questions...

U

Unregistered

I let my third class medical lapse in 2007.

In September 2010 I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea...
I've been using a CPAP machine ever since with 100% compliance.

Before I figured out that my core problem was sleep apnea I was on wellbutrin for
about 12mo, when I finally figured out the problem was Sleep Apnea I stopped taking the Wellbutrin and have been fine since.

I'm thinking that I want to get my medical again and know that the Sleep Apnea is SI,
since the welbutrin use was over three years ago should I even bring it up in the process?

The Dr I was seeing for the welbutrin was in a solo practice and had a heart attack and is no longer in practice or available making getting any medical info on this difficult...

I just don't want to get busted for not reporting something.... is there a maximum time frame for info on the FAA medical forms?

I just don't want to get busted for not reporting something.... is there a maximum time frame for info on the FAA medical forms?

I think the question is worded, "...have you ever..."

The OSA SI is simple (PM if you want). But I can't answer anything about the wellbutrin.

Perfect Dr. Bruce Chien question!!

If he doesn't appear tonight (usually does around 2130-2200 Central), email him. The link in his signature line works as does the one on his "profile" page, bbchien (http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/member.php?u=6)

Matthew is correct about answering truthfully, "...have you ever..." In the OP's case, this must be a yes.

As discussed in other threads, the folks in OKC are checking out the medical history and precsription history databases. If the OP was to answer the question "No", then the risk of getting caught in the lie will exist and that will become denial pretty quickly once uncovered.

Last edited:
Hoo boy. 2010 is going to be in the computer database of diagnosis and treatment codes. You have zero privacy. We gave that away in 2012 ("affordable healthcare act"). If you lie and you get caught, they can action your PILOT certificate.

First Q: What was the wellbutrin for?
They'll forgive Sleep Apnea nonreporting, if when you make first contact you meet ALL the SI requirements...which this conversation will get to. But right now, the Wellbutrin appears to be the bigger certification bomb.

I felt crappy and just generally down... with no diagnosed physical ailments I went to a psychologist and he recommended wellbutrin I tried this for 12 mo or so and it really did not help. I still felt "crappy" Then I figured out I had sleep apnea and did a sleep study...

When I figured out it was Sleep Apnea and got my CPAP machine I felt immediately 100% better and stopped the wellbutrin...

The original psychologist really is not available anymore, how do I address this?

P.S. How I figured out the sleep apnea...
My wife was gone on Monday night, Tuesday I felt really bad...
My wife was home Tuesday night Wedensday I was fine...
My wife was gone Wedensday night and Thursday I felt really bad again...

Trying to figure out the pattern she says when I snore she made me roll over....

So when she was not there I was not rolling over and had apnea events...
I brought this to the attention of my primary care physician, he was skeptical that it was Sleep Apnea but tried to schedule a sleep study and got push back from insurance... after fighting this for two weeks.. I bought myself a recording pulse oximeter and did my own test.... With real data in hand showing o2 sat dropping multiple times in the night I went directly to the sleep doctor and said I don't care if insurance pays, I'll pay, I want a sleep study... after the split study showed sleep apnea the insurance eventually paid.

>They'll forgive Sleep Apnea nonreporting,

There is ZERO non reporting here of any kind, in 2007 I stopped flying....
I let my Medical lapse and did not fly.

The welbutrin use was ~ 2009 to 2010.
Sleep Apnea diagnosis was Sep 2010....

Ok... the Dr that prescribed the welbutrin had a heart attack and stopped practicing about the time of my Sleep Apnea diagnosis....

I just look him up and it seems that he may be practicing again....

So it may be possible to get info from him...

If so what should I get?

To a psychiatrist for a 4-axis evaluation. Take you entire sleep apnea record with you. Let him put it together. Hope Axis 1 is "nothing happening here". Make sure the history makes exact dates of onset and off of Wellbutrin clear.

For SA you will need:

Copy of the original sleep study.
Current status letter that contains 4 elements- I've posted these a lot. briefly: Complaint with CPAP, no excess tendancy to fall asleep, appears well rested, no gross St. heart failure.
CPAP printout that shows over >31 days, , >75% of night with >6 hour's useage and a decent AHI.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back