Shutting Engine OFF in Flight

Any of the turbine ME FW guys shutdown engines during recurrent training?

Military - had to shut engines down on purpose during functional check flights. Had to show that the engine could be restarted at the maximum advertised (-1) restart altitude without issue. They usually started. Sometimes they didn't.

http://archive.airforcetimes.com/ar...1110301/Report-Multiple-failures-led-10-crash

This is somewhat misleading for an AF article though. Hog Pilots are experienced at flying over 23k and FCF guidance does require checks at 35k, so I have no idea where those statements were sourced. Service ceiling is 41k. It even flies quite nicely (given the design) at 39k for a while with excellent fuel burn!

When I did instruction for the BPPP in the 90's, it was part of the training to shut down, feather and land engine out on the last flight to demonstrate the yaw when the power was reduced on touchdown. It was an eyeopener for those who had done training with OEI but had never landed. This practice was discontinued in the latem 90's due to a couple of close calls.

Also had to shut down Garrett 331s in flight after certain engine maintence to very the Negative Torque Sensing system was functioning properly when I flew Jetstrems for the commuters.

Noah W

My instructor pulled the mixture on me and covered it with his hand. The propeller stopped. We were in the pattern and he said "well, you better land it."

I have never and would never stop the engine myself unless there was some reason to do so (like an extreme vibration, broken prop, fire, etc).

I've done the multi shutdown and restart routine for my multi ATP stuff, hind sight probably not the best idea, only place I'd shut down would be a plane designed for it like a motor glider.

image.jpg

Last edited:
My MEI taught that if you have an engine stop below 3000 AGL, feather and land.

Above 3k, you can consider troubleshooting it, but once you feather, don't change your mind and try to un-feather airborne.

Other than the check ride, this sounds to me like good advice. It would also mean an accumulator would only be useful for training and check ride purposes...

Thoughts?

It's not a paint by numbers situation. Feather vs trouble shoot depends on quite a few factors.

Yep, in a 172, while experimenting with emergency descent techniques - getting down fast as possible. It was a 180 HP Great Plains STC, a "P" model. I stayed pretty close to a lightly used airport in flatlands. Restarts went fine, maybe did it 5 or 6 times.

Back