Shutting down C-172 with fuel shut-off valve?

Is breakaway wire something you buy specific for that task?

I ask, because my Sky Arrow came with it on the fuel shutoff valve. I had to break it as part of my annual checklist to check the functioning of the valve, but never replaced it.

Ah, I thought we were talking about 172's. Sorry about that. When you're going to thread creep like that you should indicate what aircraft you're talking about.

Is breakaway wire something you buy specific for that task?

I ask, because my Sky Arrow came with it on the fuel shutoff valve. I had to break it as part of my annual checklist to check the functioning of the valve, but never replaced it.
http://www.skygeek.com/copper-brass-breakaway-wire.html

We have a three-pound spool of it that looks like it's 30 years old. At the rate we use it, it will last another 400 years.

Ah, I thought we were talking about 172's. Sorry about that. When you're going to thread creep like that you should indicate what aircraft you're talking about.

The fuel injected 172s, built since 1996, all have a separate fuel shutoff controlled by a push-pull cable. Injected systems are peculiar that way; they have a vented header tank in the line downstream of the fuel selector to eliminate any bubbles from the fuel, since there's no carb bowl to do that. Bubbles make the engine stop or hesitate. But we can no longer use the selector as a shutoff, since that downstream header could supply enough fuel to get off the ground before the engine quit if the pilot forgot to turn the selector on, so a shutoff valve is required between the header and fuel strainer and the selector no longer has an Off position.

Back