Shunt and medical examination.

U

Unregistered

So I am 20 years old. When I was 8 I had an arachnoid cyst (surface) and a shunt was placed. I went to the neurosurgeon once/twice a year usually for a few years after that, getting CAT scans until I was 13. The last visit I had, when I was 13, the neurosurgeon said that I would not need any more future visits because the cyst was nearly gone and a near 0% chance of ever having problems with it. I do not have any complications or side affects because of the shunt or surgery. I was still allowed to play sports when young without restrictions.
I've been interested in going into aviation since early in high school. Now I am a sophomore in college, and have finally decided to take it on, after seeing other career choices weren't for me.

But I am worried about the shunt disqualifying me from ever becoming a pilot. I did see the guidelines and shunt is right in the same category with hydrocephalus. But I do not have hydrocephalus. I don't think my shunt is as complicated also because I have a friend with hydrocephalus and they have had multiple complications with their shunt and cant be around certain technology because of it, mine isn't like that. It doesn't cause any problems and its not a deep shunt.

I would be able to get my licenses through my university, and I know at first I would need at least class 3. But I would like to get my commercial license..
Does anyone know what the chances are with a shunt, because I could get documentation of my medical records/scans and a note or something from my neurosurgeon to show the AME or do I have to send that in later to repeal the denial.

I'm really worried about it.
Thanks for any insight.
Chris.

Unfortunately, the best person to answer "...is this permitted and what docurmentation do I need to obtain and bring to a top AME" is no longer participating on this board.

The best way to contact Dr. Bruce Chien is either via his website, aeromedicaldoc.com or by email, aeromedicaldoc(at)comcast.net

Dr. Bruce is one of the best at providing guidance on how obtain a medical certificate when an airman has a particular medical condition.

When you make contact, please tell him many of us on PoA miss him and hope he will return someday.

Oh, if you are a member of AOPA, he is a moderator of their Medical Matters forum and can be found there. http://forums.aopa.org

It is highly unlikely you can get a reliable answer to your question here. The guy who used to provide that information has chosen not to participate on this site any more. I suggest you contact Dr. Bruce Chien directly via his web site http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com.

And good luck making your dream happen.

He did send me an email back, and with a more optimistic outlook. Dr.Bruce said that there's a 99% chance that the shunt has stopped working. He had a similar case many years ago and now that person holds a class 1 medical certificate. btw I told him he was missed on the forum. :)

Thanks all.

thin skin

It wasn't thin skin. It was comments and abuse by a few. Having spoken to him, I know who those people are. And it wasn't only Jay. I would not want to spend hours of my time helping people for free and then being treated like yesterday's garbage.

Hello, I am curious as to whatever happened in the situation? I recently had a VP shunt placed and am looking at getting my medical back eventually. Thanks.
So I am 20 years old. When I was 8 I had an arachnoid cyst (surface) and a shunt was placed. I went to the neurosurgeon once/twice a year usually for a few years after that, getting CAT scans until I was 13. The last visit I had, when I was 13, the neurosurgeon said that I would not need any more future visits because the cyst was nearly gone and a near 0% chance of ever having problems with it. I do not have any complications or side affects because of the shunt or surgery. I was still allowed to play sports when young without restrictions.
I've been interested in going into aviation since early in high school. Now I am a sophomore in college, and have finally decided to take it on, after seeing other career choices weren't for me.

But I am worried about the shunt disqualifying me from ever becoming a pilot. I did see the guidelines and shunt is right in the same category with hydrocephalus. But I do not have hydrocephalus. I don't think my shunt is as complicated also because I have a friend with hydrocephalus and they have had multiple complications with their shunt and cant be around certain technology because of it, mine isn't like that. It doesn't cause any problems and its not a deep shunt.

I would be able to get my licenses through my university, and I know at first I would need at least class 3. But I would like to get my commercial license..
Does anyone know what the chances are with a shunt, because I could get documentation of my medical records/scans and a note or something from my neurosurgeon to show the AME or do I have to send that in later to repeal the denial.

I'm really worried about it.
Thanks for any insight.
Chris.

Hello, I am curious as to whatever happened in the situation? I recently had a VP shunt placed and am looking at getting my medical back eventually. Thanks.
I doubt the OP is still around, and considering they were unregistered, they won't receive an email alert for this thread. The good news is Dr. Chien is active on the boards these days and may weigh in on his opinion.

There are a few shunt success stories on this forum. I have two VP shunts, unfortunately I was not approved. But there are a few other stories here where people were successful

I doubt the OP is still around, and considering they were unregistered, they won't receive an email alert for this thread. The good news is Dr. Chien is active on the boards these days and may weigh in on his opinion.
Thanks for the info

There are a few shunt success stories on this forum. I have two VP shunts, unfortunately I was not approved. But there are a few other stories here where people were successful
Thanks for the info!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back