Show & Tell Airshow

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Last week a rural school asked a local FBO if they knew of any pilots that would be available to show some airplanes to 5&6 graders. I was asked to participate and gladly accepted. It was held at a little non towered airport near their school and we got permission from the FAA to do acro 1,500' AGL near the airport.

The format was most conducive towards kids as we started off talking to them, then one at a time did a little flying and then landed and talked to the kids again. 3 out of the 4 pilots did hard acro routines, yours truly did a fly by with smoke on. :D It was very well received and the kids loved it.

The kids were very well mannered and polite, and the questions they asked were amazing. " How to you control the airplane upside down?", "How much fuel does it burn?", "What does it feel like to fly acrobatics?".

It was great fun and much more informative to the kids than just performing. They loved getting close to the pilots and planes afterwards. The girls really liked the young woman pilot that was with us. Very cool to see them hug her when she landed! She was like a rock start to the kids.

We had a Pitts, Christian Eagle, One Design, and an RV-8 for the show. Needless to say the Pink & Purple Pitts was their favorite! :yes:

What a great day!

Kids__Medium_.jpg

Last edited:
Great job Larry......:cheers:..

Ps... That is quite a diverse ethnic group of kids for being in the middle of the corn belt and a thousand miles from the border......:confused:

Looks like you had a good group and probably a lot of fun,always good to give back.

This kind of stuff is what I love about the aviation community. A great story. Too bad the media probably didn't report on it.

Great job Larry......:cheers:..

Ps... That is quite a diverse ethnic group of kids for being in the middle of the corn belt and a thousand miles from the border......:confused:

It is a private catholic school also!

Nebraska is quite diverse for the location. We have low unemployment (under 4%) and lots of hard working people. Can always use more IF they want to work. ;)

Thanks one and all for the comments. It was a ton of fun. :D

Last edited:
Definitely deserves a story. Nicely done, OP :thumbsup:

Thanks!

I'm really not trying to toot my own horn, just giving everyone some ideas for future events they can organize to promote GA, sciences, physics, etc. Learning is fun when you can see it in action. The kids were great!

Back