Show me the logbook!

ChrisK

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Toph
I'm talking to some different FBOs in the area with some pilot friends of mine, and one of the things that has come up is our desire (especially of one of my more mechanically inclined friends) to see the aircraft logbooks prior to entering a club or flying with an instructor for a checkout. At one point we asked the gentleman working a particular FBO desk if we would be able to look at those logs and he said "absolutely not!" and "why would you need to see those?"

I said "because we're airplane geeks?" (my friends shouldn't let me speak). My buddy said "because I'm putting my family in that plane?" (better answer) He replied "if you tell our mechanic that I'm sure he will agree to show them to you."

This exchange got me thinking that if I'm going to rent an aircraft I think I'm entitled to inspect these logs ahead of time. How do other FBOs handle this?

I saw your thread after I hit refresh =) It is only sorta related. Mine is more about pre-inspecting the logs of an airworthy aircraft.

A couple of threads with the same sort of focus.
At my FBO, the logs for all the aircraft are in a file cabinet, and anyone can go in and look at them whenever they want.

If I rent an airplane I always ask them for the logs, never had a problem. If they refuse to show me the logs I wouldn't fly their plane, sounds like they have something to hide.

I'm talking to some different FBOs in the area with some pilot friends of mine, and one of the things that has come up is our desire (especially of one of my more mechanically inclined friends) to see the aircraft logbooks prior to entering a club or flying with an instructor for a checkout. At one point we asked the gentleman working a particular FBO desk if we would be able to look at those logs and he said "absolutely not!" and "why would you need to see those?"

I said "because we're airplane geeks?" (my friends shouldn't let me speak). My buddy said "because I'm putting my family in that plane?" (better answer) He replied "if you tell our mechanic that I'm sure he will agree to show them to you."

This exchange got me thinking that if I'm going to rent an aircraft I think I'm entitled to inspect these logs ahead of time. How do other FBOs handle this?

My FBO uses a scheduling website that tracks all the maintenance requirements for every aircraft. With every dispatch you can see how many hours or the next date of required items, i.e annual, 100 hr, pitot/static, ADs, etc.

That's not the same as a actually seeing the logbooks (which I doubt they'd object to), but it gives some indication of regulatory airworthiness.

I believe that as PIC you must know the AC is airworthy and if it's not your own plane the only way to know for sure is to see the logs.

Logs really aren't going to tell you squat about the airplane condition or how the airplane is really maintained. I'd be more concerned with looking at the airplane.

One thing I would do however is ask to see the logs or some maintenance tracking sheet prior to renting and departing with an FBO's aircraft because it is up to YOU as the renter to insure that the plane is legal to fly. If the aircraft is out of 100 hour or has an AD due, etc. you'll be on the hook, not the FBO. The examiner I used for my private rating made sure I understood this and told me a story about a guy who came into the FBO, took a plane that was out of inspection, and got busted for it. That made me motivated to always check the paperwork carefully.

It sounds to me like the FBO in question has something to hide if you ask me.

Copied from a similar thread in this forum:

I just looked at the Practical Test Standard for private, commercial, instrument, and multiengine. Each contains an applicant's checklist, and each such checklist includes maintenance records.

When I was a DE I sent more than one applicant back to his flight school to get the aircraft and engine logs (no "hers" made this mistake).

Bob Gardner

If you are just popping up to rent a plane, that might be a bit much. Sure you can look through some books but then you're just taking at face value that what is written in them is real. You have to have a little faith at some point.

You're liable for the information being there, you damned sure better be able to look at them.

If you are just popping up to rent a plane, that might be a bit much. Sure you can look through some books but then you're just taking at face value that what is written in them is real. You have to have a little faith at some point.

As long as the required sign offs are there, I can have faith that they are valid. That the required sign offs are there, I cannot have faith in, they are my responsibility to make sure they are there before acting as PIC.

Agreed, I'm surprised they gave such a negative initial response. Has no pilot ever asked them to review the logs before?

It seems like unless a check ride is coming no one ever does. The reaction freaked me out, too.

If you are learning how to fly should you ask for the log book as well? You are going to spend a lot of time in the plane, it's best to know what you are up against!

I have never encountered an attitude such as this (against allowing the logs of a rental aircraft to be viewed) My guess is that it is extremely uncommon.

This exchange got me thinking that if I'm going to rent an aircraft I think I'm entitled to inspect these logs ahead of time.
Not sure how far ahead "ahead of time" is, but by the FAA's regulations, you are not only entitled to review them, but as PIC, you are required to review them before you operate that aircraft.

Agreed, I'm surprised they gave such a negative initial response. Has no pilot ever asked them to review the logs before?

I've only had one place I was told "no" I couldn't see the logs. I said, "Really? The FSDo will be very interested in that policy." The logs were in front of me a couple minutes later.

Back