Shout out to

So, my first flight student is ready to solo. I basically told him this after our last flight. "Wear an old ratty shirt next time," I told him. Also that I'd be willing to play hookey from work if the weather was good on Friday.

So this morning, I'm up at 6:00. I check the weather forecast, and it looks like it's going to be pretty good until the late afternoon, when it gets dark anyway. I text my student (who I figure is probably not up yet), hey, weather looks like it might be decent, what are your plans today? (Holy crap, this may be The Day!)

Well, if we're going to fly, I'd better "plug in" the plane this morning so it has a few hours to warm up. So as soon as I'm breakfasted and coffeed, I hop in the car and head towards the airport. I get about 1/4 mile. As I stop at an intersection, the car starts shaking.

"Huh, this feels like a bad mag," I think to myself, "Wait, but cars don't have those. Do they?" Then...
The shaking gets worse. "Now it feels like a really seriously-imbalanced propeller," I think to myself, "But cars definitely don't have those!"
Whatever it is, I figure something catastrophic has gone wrong with my car's engine, it feels like it's going to tear itself (and the car) apart, the shaking is so bad. Not knowing what's going on, I shut down the engine.
But the shaking keeps going!!
I see a flash of light in the sky. A transformer blowing out or a line going down or something.
"Earthquake!" I finally figured it out.
Streetlights were bouncing. All the other cars were slowing and stopping.
It finally stops after what seemed like a very long time.

I drove back to the house. The power was out. Some stuff has fallen from shelves, but nothing too drastic. A bookshelf broke, but thankfully remained upright. Kitchen cabinets had opened and some contents flung out. Lots of miscellany on the floor. Lots of liquor bottles (stored about 6 feet up) were on the floor, but amazingly only one broke. I lost a bottle of raspberry-infused vodka. But the enormous Costco regular vodka was intact, so no reason to panic. No gas smell, just a faint odor of raspberries.

A tsunami warning was issued, but was cancelled a little while later. Phone calls were impossible, but texts were getting through, so I spent a few hours texting while my cell phone battery slowly died. Fortunately, power came back a few hours later. Aftershocks came and went throughout the morning.

My student lives about 45 miles away, the only highway into town was closed, blocked by a rockslide. I checked Merrill ATIS and it said they'd evacuated the Tower and pilots should use tower frequency as CTAF.

So all is well with me, and my student has the best "thwarted first solo" story ever. :)

Glad to hear you are safe. I was in Alaska during the 1964 quake (yes - I am that old) and I remember the devastation around Anchorage and points south. Hope the damage is minimal this time.

So, my first flight student is ready to solo. I basically told him this after our last flight. "Wear an old ratty shirt next time," I told him. Also that I'd be willing to play hookey from work if the weather was good on Friday.

So this morning, I'm up at 6:00. I check the weather forecast, and it looks like it's going to be pretty good until the late afternoon, when it gets dark anyway. I text my student (who I figure is probably not up yet), hey, weather looks like it might be decent, what are your plans today? (Holy crap, this may be The Day!)

Well, if we're going to fly, I'd better "plug in" the plane this morning so it has a few hours to warm up. So as soon as I'm breakfasted and coffeed, I hop in the car and head towards the airport. I get about 1/4 mile. As I stop at an intersection, the car starts shaking.

"Huh, this feels like a bad mag," I think to myself, "Wait, but cars don't have those. Do they?" Then...
The shaking gets worse. "Now it feels like a really seriously-imbalanced propeller," I think to myself, "But cars definitely don't have those!"
Whatever it is, I figure something catastrophic has gone wrong with my car's engine, it feels like it's going to tear itself (and the car) apart, the shaking is so bad. Not knowing what's going on, I shut down the engine.
But the shaking keeps going!!
I see a flash of light in the sky. A transformer blowing out or a line going down or something.
"Earthquake!" I finally figured it out.
Streetlights were bouncing. All the other cars were slowing and stopping.
It finally stops after what seemed like a very long time.

I drove back to the house. The power was out. Some stuff has fallen from shelves, but nothing too drastic. A bookshelf broke, but thankfully remained upright. Kitchen cabinets had opened and some contents flung out. Lots of miscellany on the floor. Lots of liquor bottles (stored about 6 feet up) were on the floor, but amazingly only one broke. I lost a bottle of raspberry-infused vodka. But the enormous Costco regular vodka was intact, so no reason to panic. No gas smell, just a faint odor of raspberries.

A tsunami warning was issued, but was cancelled a little while later. Phone calls were impossible, but texts were getting through, so I spent a few hours texting while my cell phone battery slowly died. Fortunately, power came back a few hours later. Aftershocks came and went throughout the morning.

My student lives about 45 miles away, the only highway into town was closed, blocked by a rockslide. I checked Merrill ATIS and it said they'd evacuated the Tower and pilots should use tower frequency as CTAF.

So all is well with me, and my student has the best "thwarted first solo" story ever. :)

Sorry to hear about your loss (vodka), now just imagine what would have happened if you went up with your student, did 3 in the pattern, he drops you off , you have your hairs standing straight since this student of your is going to try and land this 2000 lbs of aluminum and 100LL , and the earthquake started. The student on the other hand doesn’t give a crap since he is so focused on trying to figure out why the ship is climbing this fast, upon first landing he feels the runway moving , but he doesn’t know if the runway is moving or if he has gone back to his 747 flare days.... either ways that would have been an awesome first solo..... his first landing literally shattered the plates under the surface .

Hope everyone else is fine out there, I have witnessed a tsunami long time back, actually it was the aftermath that I had witnessed, never want to see anything like that again.

I've been giving my stray thoughts to the ATC guys up in the tower at Merrill. That must've been absolutely terrifying.

Had no Idea what happened. Got more than one call today from folks around the country asking if Tami and I were OK.

I'm glad damage in Anchorage and the surrounding communities was not worse than what it is. Sounds like a lot of damage to roads and buildings. I have not heard of any fatalities, thank God.

I am safe and sound in New Mexico.

I have a lot of friends in Alaska, very few in Anchorage. I haven't had any contact with them yet. Nothing as unsettling as having the very ground we live on start shaking everything.

Hope everyone in ANC is doing well.

Back