Shoulder surgery

Kgomes61bravo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
kgomes61bravo
My left shoulder has dislocated multiple times and I believe I'm going to need surgery. I haven't started commercial flight training yet and I was wondering if having this on my record will hinder me from obtaining a second class medical or higher. Does anyone have an idea of how this will effect my future of flying when I get shoulder surgery?

To my knowledge, as long as your shoulder strength and range of motion are not adversely affected as a result, the only effect it will have is to force you to check "yes" in boxes 18u and 18x on all future medical applications, and list the surgery in block 19 on your next application and write "Previously reported - no change" in block 19 on all subsequent applications. For greater assurance, you could check that with Dr. Bruce Chien, MD, AME, ATP, CFI, via his web site or the AOPA Forums.

I had shoulder surgery 4 years ago that required 6 months rehab to regain full range of motion. 8 months ago when I went to get my 3rd class medical, I indicated this on the form and was just asked to display full range of motion, then the doc signed off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back