Shoulder Labrum Tear (SLAP Tear)

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Anyone experience one of these before? Is there any chance I can avoid surgery and get back to 100% with just physical therapy?

Depends on the severity of the tear. I was told I MIGHT have a slight labrum tear a couple of years ago and that surgery would probably not be necessary. I have done just fine with tincture of time and occasional steroid injections. Because I still have minor pain occasionally I've been told recently that it likely is a slight tear, but surgery has still not been recommended. As always, YMMV.

How much does it bother you? Physical therapy/rehab focuses on strengthening the muscles around the joint, but does not fix the underlying problem. Does it feel like a 'loose shoulder'? In other words: in certain positions/movements, does the arm feel like it partially 'falls/slips out' of the joint or moves further out than what you expect the normal range of motion to be? (As compared to your other shoulder). If that matches your symptoms, it will not get back to 100%.

How much does it bother you? Physical therapy/rehab focuses on strengthening the muscles around the joint, but does not fix the underlying problem. Does it feel like a 'loose shoulder'? In other words: in certain positions/movements, does the arm feel like it partially 'falls/slips out' of the joint or moves further out than what you expect the normal range of motion to be? (As compared to your other shoulder). If that matches your symptoms, it will not get back to 100%.
Still healing so not sure yet. Every day seems more and more stable, but its still far from being in normal shoulder position. Crash and dislocation was a little over a week ago. I have an MRI coming up at the end of this week or next week to see how far the tear is for sure, but the doctor that saw me said it's almost certainly a labrum tear. Just a question of how bad.

Wish you the best - hopefully its not too extensive and surgery isn't required. The shoulder joint is complex and post surgery rehab (if you are in a sling for few weeks) can be very lengthy regain full range of motion.

(I'm not a doctor - just prior experience dealing with my own shoulder injuries as a patient).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back