shoulder harness

peytont

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
peytont
I've got a 172K without shoulder belts. I'd like them installed, after reading the 'engine failure' thread. I was told by my A&P $650 for both front seats installed. Does this sound correct? Are there other options I should consider?

If you are going to upgrade your seat belts and you don't already have compatible lap belts, skip the non-inertial shoulder harness.

Get an inertia reel 3-point harness (comfort) or a 4- or 5-point harness (safety, adjustability). Not much more cost but a lot more bang for your buck.

EDIT: Also, don't get the "Y" style harness where you have 4 belts but 3 connecting points- those get annoying quickly.

Last edited:
If you are gonna install something from nothing anyway, I will second the opinion to spend the money for inertial reel...at least for the pilot side without question.

I had a fixed harness when I bought my plane then swapped out my side for an inertia reel after a year. Regret not doing it sooner! With a fixed strap you have to unbuckle every time you switch tanks.

When I was researching options, the B.A.S. systems seemed to be the most popular and recommended, although not the cheapest.

http://basinc-aeromod.com/cessna/

I would have gone with them if I was retrofitting but I found an OEM replacement that I could swap myself since I already had a harness.

Here is the STC version of the ones I went with:

http://alphaaviation.com/Cessna100200.html

From what I have seen $650 installed sounds like a good price but I would ask how much to add the inertia reel.

Last edited:
I chose the Y harness with dual shoulder harnesses and a new belt. It was from Wag Aero. The inertia reel are certainly more comfy, but I prefer the dual harness for security. It is a bit of a hassle to change the fuel selector, and if you have a Johnson bar, that's also an issue for the first pull of flaps. Since I went down in my Citabria with that system and walked away, it's what I prefer.

I chose the Y harness with dual shoulder harnesses and a new belt. It was from Wag Aero. The inertia reel are certainly more comfy, but I prefer the dual harness for security. It is a bit of a hassle to change the fuel selector, and if you have a Johnson bar, that's also an issue for the first pull of flaps. Since I went down in my Citabria with that system and walked away, it's what I prefer.
Same here. I was in too many rentals with broken inertial reels.

Personally, I spent a lot of time in the back of a 172K with the Y harnesses and hated them. Much better to go with a true 4- or 5- point harness IMO. If you're going to limit yourself to 3-points and you don't have renters trashing the plane, go with the car-style inertia reels.

I've got a 172K without shoulder belts. I'd like them installed, after reading the 'engine failure' thread. I was told by my A&P $650 for both front seats installed. Does this sound correct? Are there other options I should consider?

Spring for the BAS with the retracting double shoulder strap. Small premium for the comfort and protection.

Back