Should one be Cautious After an Annual?

I would make the mechanic go for a flight with me every time he works on my plane. That way he would know to be extra dilligent every time he works on the plane.

I have a spare PTT button on my panel in case the switch on the stick should crap out. I'm guessing that's not something you'd be allowed to fit yourself on a certified aircraft, but I believe you can buy or make a portable one with no modification to the airplane needed - shorting the tip (PTT) of the microphone jack to the sleeve (GND). Though I guess whether that would work depends on where in the harness the fault is. By all means do your best to find and fix the fault, but these intermittent poor connections can be a bugger to find and it's nice to have a backup.

My headset only cost less than $200 and it has a PTT button on the side. One of the reasons I bought it, actually. Never tested it in flight.

I don't have a schematic, but I've tried the remote PTT before and it does not work with my setup.

I have a separate PTT on the right yoke and in the past when the pilot PTT did not work, neither did the co pilots. Also when one radio does not key, niether will the other. It just about has to be in the yoke wiring somewhere. I suspect the yoke wiring goes through the audio panel somehow to key the correct radio.

It's going to be a big job to trace all the wiring down, and intermittent problems can drive you absolutely crazy, but I'm going to have to get to the bottom of it.

I bought a used ICOM from a guy on POA but I've never tested it in flight. Including shipping I only paid a bit over $100 and it works great so far on the ground and even has NAV.

With the rubber ducky antenna in the airplane they pretty much work like crap. The NAV function is a joke IMO. Way way better off with a portable gps.

With the rubber ducky antenna in the airplane they pretty much work like crap. The NAV function is a joke IMO. Way way better off with a portable gps.

I have a portable GPS mounted to the yoke of the 150 plus the GPS in my ForeFlight / iPad.

I've personally seen pitot and static ports left taped, inspection panels forgotten, and a few other things...

Ryan
I've caught Inspection panels missing as well. I've also heard of forgotten oil filters as well.

The shop owner who maintains my plane personally performs a post-MX test flight in every airplane prior to return to the owner. Since he doesn't do all the work himself, I asked how he prepares for these flights.

His summary answer was:
1. Review the work order to determine everything we touched during the inspection/repair.

2. Look carefully and touch each of the affected items. He finds more problems by touching than by looking.

Stuff that is left loose (fuel/oil lines and fittings, spark plugs and connectors, heat/air ducting, sheet metal (cowlings, inspection panels) drive him nuts, in spite of all of the QC processes in place.

3. Very careful cockpit check during pre-flight, with special attention to circuit breakers, switches, indicators and other devices. For example, he checks to be sure the red/green lights are visible on the gear control panel. If not, it's probably because the day/night switch was left in an improper position or the dimmer was left in the wrong position.

4. During the test flight, he starts at the left side and works his way across the switch panel and instrument panel, being sure that everything on the airplane works (APFD, nav, com, TXP, EGT/CHT, etc.) whether or not they touched it during the inspection. He makes careful notes of all engine indications and FF, especially on the big-bore turbo'd engines, so the information will be available for tweaking of fuel controls if necessary.

He carries a copy of the pre-inspection functional test, so he will know if anything that worked when the plane arrived for MX doesn't work during the post-MX flight, and whether or not they should have fixed it.

He also attempts to return all of the pilots "stuff" (headsets, knee-boards, checklists, etc.) to the place the pilot normally uses it, rather than leaving it in a box in the bag compartment like most shops seem to do. Everything else is left in a box in the copilot seat so the owner can put it where he wants it, or (in many cases) throw it away.

I have occasionally ridden along or flown the airplanes when he was not current, and found that both of us stay busy checking and making notes during the ~1-hour flights. YMMV

Last edited:
My friend Reed has a Cessna 180. He was in flight about 2 hours after an annual. The mechanic left a spark plug wrench on top of the cylinders and it finally made its way forward.

It went through the prop, pieces of it flew through the cowling, through the oil cooler, and broke a huge piece off the prop. He hit direct to nearest and ended up at LaGrande. Oil was everywhere, and all over the windshield.

His oil level was 2 quarts when he looked.

He said it was loud!

My friend Reed has a Cessna 180. He was in flight about 2 hours after an annual. The mechanic left a spark plug wrench on top of the cylinders and it finally made its way forward.

It went through the prop, pieces of it flew through the cowling, through the oil cooler, and broke a huge piece off the prop. He hit direct to nearest and ended up at LaGrande. Oil was everywhere, and all over the windshield.

His oil level was 2 quarts when he looked.

He said it was loud!

He should have brought that 180 to me, I inventory my tools before I turn one loose after any maintenance.

He should have brought that 180 to me, I inventory my tools before I turn one loose after any maintenance.

When I was a mechanic on F-101s and F-102s we had to use a checklist to sign out and in all our tools in our own toolbox.

The plane looks great Kim! Sounds like NC is offering to send a check!:rofl:

Seriously though, that does seem to be a nice 150 and worth the money if it checks it as claimed.
The owner has a tentative buyer, and the aircraft will go away discrepancy free. and with a fresh annual. I've posted this aircraft here a couple times. I fly it often, and it flys great.

Back