Should I Submit ASRS for this?

I came across this flying into what was my home base in Hollywood, FL.

Miami Approach would start vectoring me westbound, way out over the swamp where I'd rather not be. By descending to below FLL Class C I could fly pretty much direct.

My approach was to comply with the first vector, then say...

1) If IFR in VMC: "Miami Approach, N1360C is canceling IFR. I'll be proceeding direct HWO and staying under FLL Class C. Do you want me to stay on this code or squawk VFR?"

2) If VFR with flight following: "Miami Approach, N1360C is going to go ahead and cancel flight following and going direct HWO. Thanks for your help. Do you want me to stay on this code or squawk VFR?"

In both cases you complied with the last ATC clearance. Once off frequency there should be no more for you to worry about.

Anyway, worked for me and no one ever had an issue with it.

Ha! I was just at HWO and they did just that... vectoring me out over the swamp... at night... pitch black. Nice JFK JR moment... except I'm IFR.

I should have cancelled and gone north under the FLL shelf.

No, cowboy. If I were flying in a rural area with little or no traffic, I might not use FF (but might use it anyway). But I don't understand a decision not to use a free safety resource in other areas, especially with passengers who don't know any better and whose lives are in my hands.

But then there are folks who try jumps over the Grand Canyon on motorcycles (without passengers), and we do live in a free country. To each his or her own.

Your choice, obviously. I'm not here to tell you what to do and something tells me you are a pretty independent guy who probably doesn't care what I think. That's cool with me! B)

At least if you have a transponder, ATC will tell me when you're near me, "Traffic at 12 o-clock, 1 mile, type unknown." I will turn right!

Happy flying.

You may think different when the 'obligation' decision is taken away from you, and handed to the FAA to sort out. I'm sure you will be ok with that, cuz it is 'the right thing to do', so it should be for everyone every flight every time. right?

Signed - your Friendly Aviation Association.

don't use FF = jump grand Canyon on a MC. :yes:

All new limitations start this way: It is dangerous to the children, therefore al GA flights will now be required to; ______________.

Whatev :mad2:

One peeve I have with FF (especially visiting unfamiliar airspace like SoCal) is that I'll have my VFR route all planned out in advance. Suddenly, the controller starts giving me new vectors and altitudes to take a totally different route. Ok, that's fine, I'm on FF, they'll coordinate the airspace issues (and I'll make sure to get cleared into Bravo if necessary)

Suddenly, they get too busy and dump me. Then I'm in an area where I had not planned to be and have to re-plan a new route while trying to look for traffic, study the map, etc.

Now I just tend to file IFR when going into unfamiliar, busy airspace like SoCal...

I all of my hundreds of flights in So. Cal. airspace on FF, I have never been asked to make a significant route change. The most I've ever been asked to do is a brief diversion to avoid traffic, followed by "resume own nav" a few minutes later.

In my personal experience (which is significant), I have never had to re-do a flight plan in a significant way due to FF.

One peeve I have with FF (especially visiting unfamiliar airspace like SoCal) is that I'll have my VFR route all planned out in advance. Suddenly, the controller starts giving me new vectors and altitudes to take a totally different route. Ok, that's fine, I'm on FF, they'll coordinate the airspace issues (and I'll make sure to get cleared into Bravo if necessary)

Suddenly, they get too busy and dump me. Then I'm in an area where I had not planned to be and have to re-plan a new route while trying to look for traffic, study the map, etc.

Now I just tend to file IFR when going into unfamiliar, busy airspace like SoCal...

I all of my hundreds of flights in So. Cal. airspace on FF, I have never been asked to make a significant route change. The most I've ever been asked to do is a brief diversion to avoid traffic, followed by "resume own nav" a few minutes later.

In my personal experience (which is significant), I have never had to re-do a flight plan in a significant way due to FF.

It's happened to me a couple times. Then again, perhaps I was "over planning". I'm known for that.... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back