Should I log a Skybeacon firmware upgrade?

Country Flier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
CFL
I just updated the firmware of my skyBeacon adsb (super easy, btw)...should I make an entry in my airframe log?

My opinion is that it should be logged somewhere, maybe not the airframe log. Hypothetically, if an airworthiness directive (AD) came out on the old firmware, the log shows that the AD was complied with, just like any other AD. It makes it easier to look up compliance during annual. It also makes it easier to determine the firmware version in the devices in the plane than turning all the units on and looking at the start screens.

I'm wondering if a private pilot could do this in light of the Coleal letter re. preventative maintenance (page 2).

"Many preventive maintenance tasks are listed in 14 C.F.R. part 43, appendix A,
paragraph (c). The paragraph sets forth in 32 numbered subparagraphs items the FAA
has determined to be preventive maintenance. Even though the introductory text of
subparagraph (c) states that "[p ]reventive maintenance is limited to the following work
.... " (emphasis added), in view of the broader definition of preventive maintenance in
section 1.1, we believe that such limitation'is not controlling. Similarly, for the same
reason, we also believe that the following sentence in Advisory Circular 43-12A,
Preventive Maintenance (which was referenced in Mr. Hernandez's letter), is overly
restrictive. That sentence, found in Paragraph 3(b)(1), states: "If a task or maintenance
function does not appear in the list, it is not preventive maintenance." As with the other
paragraphs of Appendix A (i.e., on major repairs and major alterations), the lists are
better viewed as examples of the tasks in each category-they cannot be considered allinclusive.
There are, no doubt, many "simple or minor preservation operations [tasks]"
and many "replacement[ s] of small standard parts not involving complex assembly
operations" performed daily, especially on small general aviation aircraft, that the agency
would consider to be preventive maintenance, though they are not included in the 32
listed items."

should I make an entry in my airframe log?
FYI: if talking about a TC'd aircraft both upgrade SB versions require a mx record entry and a copy sent to the OEM. And I've heard there has been some confusion on who can perform/sign the post-upgrade check/verification but don't know the details.

Last edited:
Back