Should I get my Commercial?

Gnomad

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
eparker99
Thought I might get some feedback by posting here...

A little background, got my PPL just over a year ago, IR in January, and ME last month. I own a DA40 and am just about to hit 400hrs.

CSEL/CMEL Just seemed like the next thing to do since I've been flying and training so much the last year and a half. Really am interested in all the maneuvers, pushing the envelope of my plane etc...

But...

I really just love to fly for fun, and to get places. Have no desire to be paid to fly and don't think I have any interest in CFI route.

I'm assuming Comercial will help with my insurance rates, is this true? Also, I had some concerns that if I ran into a minor infraction somewhere down the road, does the FAA come down harder on a CP vs. PP? I recently read an opinion that FAA would hold an ATP to a higher standard if they had an infraction in their Cessna. Of course I don't plan on any issues, but want to stay as low on the FAA radar as possible. :wink2:

I'm just seeking opinions on whether I should just get really good at all the commercial maneuvers, for my own benefit, and then move on to gliders or something else. Or, in my situation, should I follow up the maneuvers with the written/check ride and get the CP?

Thoughts?

Thanks for reading!
Eric

I don't think either of your assumptions is accurate and based on your stated desires would not pursue the rating. If/when things are different, you can always revisit the decision.

Thought I might get some feedback by posting here...

A little background, got my PPL just over a year ago, IR in January, and ME last month. I own a DA40 and am just about to hit 400hrs.

CSEL/CMEL Just seemed like the next thing to do since I've been flying and training so much the last year and a half. Really am interested in all the maneuvers, pushing the envelope of my plane etc...

But...

I really just love to fly for fun, and to get places. Have no desire to be paid to fly and don't think I have any interest in CFI route.

I'm assuming Comercial will help with my insurance rates, is this true? Also, I had some concerns that if I ran into a minor infraction somewhere down the road, does the FAA come down harder on a CP vs. PP? I recently read an opinion that FAA would hold an ATP to a higher standard if they had an infraction in their Cessna. Of course I don't plan on any issues, but want to stay as low on the FAA radar as possible. :wink2:

I'm just seeking opinions on whether I should just get really good at all the commercial maneuvers, for my own benefit, and then move on to gliders or something else. Or, in my situation, should I follow up the maneuvers with the written/check ride and get the CP?

Thoughts?

Thanks for reading!
Eric

I'm assuming Comercial will help with my insurance rates, is this true?
Essentially, no. Once you have the IR, only total time makes any significant difference for flying that doesn't require a CP.

Also, I had some concerns that if I ran into a minor infraction somewhere down the road, does the FAA come down harder on a CP vs. PP?
It can be so, but it's pretty rare when that becomes a factor.

In your situation, doing all the commercial maneuvers, landings, and other precision flight training to the CP PTS standards is what's important for you, not taking the CP written or getting the certificate. Getting advanced weather training is also very important. Focus on those.

I'm in a similar situation as you are and I'm getting mine. I'd like to instruct at some point though, but not as a full time career. To me, more training is good. Getting to know your airplane more is good and any experience is valuable. I suppose I'm the minority, but that's how I feel.

As far as SES goes, I'm getting that as soon as I finish my commercial.

I appreciate the feedback. Just don't see a reason to take the written/Checkride at this point. If it won't help my insurance by any significant amount, then the certificate would have no use. Had a fed in the backseat for my ME ride, don't want to do that again!

I've had some encouragement to go for my CFI...maybe in the future, but right now I know I'm not interested, so will cross the bridge when/if I come to it.

Will keep working on the commercial maneuvers with my CFI until we feel they are to PTS, then move on. Have done some aerobatics and spin training in a Decathlon, but hesitant to continue that path. Would probably trade in my DA40 for an Extra 300 or something and my family would never fly with me again! :D

Glider rating does sound fun to me, guess that's where I'll head next. :)

Thanks again for the feedback!

Eric

Last edited:
I'm not too far from you, in the way that you've been training, except that I'm not as far along. I'm planning on getting my commercial just because I travel for work, and it makes the laws about reimbursement much easier to deal with.

I would get it. Never know when you'll stumble into an opportunity where it could be useful.

Also, I had some concerns that if I ran into a minor infraction somewhere down the road, does the FAA come down harder on a CP vs. PP? I recently read an opinion that FAA would hold an ATP to a higher standard if they had an infraction in their Cessna.

FAA Order 2150.3b, Chapter 7, 4,
c. Certificate Holder’s Level of Experience.
(1) Level of experience refers primarily to the type of certificate and ratings held (for example, student, private, commercial, airline transport pilot, or certified flight instructor), and the number of hours flown, by the certificate holder. Certificate holders with greater levels of experience may be held to a higher standard. Thus, for example, commercial pilots may be held to a higher standard than private pilots and airline transport pilots may be held to an rven higher standard than commercial pilots.
(2) In determining an appropriate sanction, the FAA may consider the extent to which the certificate holder’s action deviated from the degree of care and diligence normally expected of a person with the certificate holder’s level of experience. A significant deviation from the degree of care and diligence expected of the holder of that certificate may warrant a more aggravated sanction.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/2150.3 B W-Chg 4.pdf

If the opportunity arises, the rating can be obtained in a week.

I would get it. Never know when you'll stumble into an opportunity where it could be useful.

If the opportunity arises, the rating can be obtained in a week.
IME - a week would often be too long - and they'll just find someone else who can do it that day. For me, things in aviation seem to happen quickly or not happen at all (probably because the more someone looks at me, the more sketchy I start to appear).

To the contrary, when you know it's important you clean up pretty good.

IME - a week would often be too long - and they'll just find someone else who can do it that day. For me, things in aviation seem to happen quickly or not happen at all (probably because the more someone looks at me, the more sketchy I start to appear).

Maybe, but in order to make Commercial useful for short notice kind of stuff means the pilot has to make maintaining a 2nd class Medical a regular requirement. If you get a Commercial ticket and don't maintain the medical, it isn't much use for situations like you're suggesting.

If I was bored and had money to burn, I would get it.

Maybe, but in order to make Commercial useful for short notice kind of stuff means the pilot has to make maintaining a 2nd class Medical a regular requirement. If you get a Commercial ticket and don't maintain the medical, it isn't much use for situations like you're suggesting.

True but a medical is a hell of a lot easier to get then a new certificate.

"Hey can you fly x to y for one million dollars for me on Wednesday?"
"Sure, I am a commercial pilot and I just need to renew my medical tomorrow"

Goes over much better than:

"I'm not a commercial pilot but I can as long as you wait a few weeks for me to find a retract airplane, an instructor, an examiner, learn the maneuvers, set a date for the checkride, pass, and then go get a 2nd class medical"

David needed his medical for the job he got with a one day notice. A quick trip out to Dr Brice and he was all set. Had he not had his commercial he wouldn't have even got an interview.

Well, Eric, as usual you are getting a lot of answers from the perspective of the person giving the advice, not from your perspective as you provided your goals. Don't worry about what others are doing. Do what is right for you.
If you don't intend to fly commercial, there is no benefit to getting the certificate and as you suggested, there can be FAA downsides. Take a good look at the maneuvers that are in the commercial PTS and decide if they are worth mastering. If they are, go ahead and learn them. Or, as others has suggested, learn other maneuvers or gain other ratings that you are confident will be of benefit.
If you are wondering what will help your insurance rates most, just email or call your agent or carrier and ask them that question right up front. WINGS will help (as much as I'm not a huge fan of how it is administered) for instance. Some of those two day type recertification schools may help with your insurance rates (but might cost more than the reduction).

GET IT! If you have the Time, means to do it. Just do it. It will be good experience for you, the more knowledge you have, Ideally and hopefully the better pilot you will become.
I have been told that (maybe depending on the carrier)advanced training (CSEL) will help with your insurance rates. Honestly I cannot speak from experience there, I sold my plane before I got my CMEL and CSEL. now that I am a Commercial pilot I cannot afford to own one. LOL
The medical , like Jesse said is a non issue. As long as you are non flying as a commercial pilot you do not need a 1 or 2 class. If you ever want to, then just go get one.

Dude. If you get that call, you sure as hell shouldn't tell Bruce or anybody else about it. Nor should you think you're actually going to get paid other than with a 9mm.:D

True but a medical is a hell of a lot easier to get then a new certificate.

"Hey can you fly x to y for one million dollars for me on Wednesday?"
"Sure, I am a commercial pilot and I just need to renew my medical tomorrow"

Goes over much better than:

"I'm not a commercial pilot but I can as long as you wait a few weeks for me to find a retract airplane, an instructor, an examiner, learn the maneuvers, set a date for the checkride, pass, and then go get a 2nd class medical"

David needed his medical for the job he got with a one day notice. A quick trip out to Dr Brice and he was all set. Had he not had his commercial he wouldn't have even got an interview.

"I wish i wasn't a commercial pilot" said no one ever

Just a thought, I never went through the FAA commercial route, ( I just had to ask for it and I'm such a nice person they gave me one :D), but IMHO the only reason to avoid more training is that you already know all there is to know about aviation and there is no point learning more.

The biggest issue if usually having a complex airplane to do the commercial check ride in. so if you have access to a complex airplane I would recommend getting your commercial certificate. You may not have a complex airplane available in the future.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Back