Should I buy a new plane for Private Pilot Training?

Wow...nice airplane...perfect panel too.

Nice looking bird! Congrats!

That plane will get you through your PPL and your instrument rating and well into your travels before you get that nagging feeling that you want to upgrade. Good choice.

So uncluttered how do you find anything.:)

Nice ,Treat it well,you’ll enjoy for quite awhile. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the compliments. I guess I bought the all the panel/avionics I could ever want and got a plane for cheap/free. Prior owner really spared no expense on electronics. Has an S-Tec 30 with Alt Hold and GPSS in addition to what's visible in the pic. I rationalized that I would ultimately update to something similar eventually and better to do it on 50 cents of someone else's dollar. Hopefully it will be in Atlanta this week and I can fly this weekend if the weather stops sucking..

The risk of training in your own airplane is you get to fix whatever you break. The good thing is you're always motivated to go fly. That ship looks gorgeous. Congrats on the purchase.

My only piece of advice is get a CFI who'll keep you from breaking it.

How was your experience dealing with Van Bortel?

How was your experience dealing with Van Bortel?
Very good overall. They took care of all the paperwork, paid for all the Pre-buy items and are updating all the Garmin databases and detailing the plane today. They recommended a good insurance broker, Halton Hall & Associates, who had by far the best quote and were super knowledgeable and nice on the phone. I ended up needing to be in Dallas on business last friday, so I got a chance to see the plane and do the paperwork in person. I was hoping to fly back with the ferry pilot, but the WX is pretty uncertain this week, so I went back commercial.

I ended up needing to be in Dallas on business last friday
Dooood!!! And you didn't contact me so we could meet up and I get a chance to see that nice bird in person???

pouting-child.jpg

Dooood!!! And you didn't contact me so we could meet up and I get a chance to see that nice bird in person???

It was a real in and out trip. Got done with client work at 3, drove from Las Colinas to get there around 4 looked at plane and spent money for an hour and a half, then hauled ass to Plano to meet up with the Wife's cousins. Would have connected if I stayed the weekend for the ride back in the money pit.

Having myself encountered numerous unforeseen setbacks in my attempt to obtain that elusive certificate, I truly envy you or anyone that has the courage and means to forego all the rental roadblocks and sandtraps by buying your own ship. Nice move and good luck! Now if I could just convince my wife . . . .

Sweet looking Bonanza man!

That’s one of the nicest Mooney’s I have seen on here

Wrong, WRONG, WROOOOOOOOOOONG!!

It's got welded-on gear so it must be a Cirrus. Duh!

But seriously, congratulations!
The best feeling in the world is when you know you can drive up to the airport and go fly anytime you want! And not pay a cent per Hobbs. :)
No GO FLY HER!

Finally got to fly it today.. about 2.5 hours doing basic maneuvers, 4 landings and just enjoying the first nice day in Atlanta in what seems like years.

Lots to learn, but really sweet plane and lands really well.

Finally got to fly it today.. about 2.5 hours doing basic maneuvers, 4 landings and just enjoying the first nice day in Atlanta in what seems like years.

Lots to learn, but really sweet plane and lands really well.
Small point- the plane doesn't land well. You landed it well. All planes either land smooth or nasty depending on the meatbag at the yoke

Congratulations on what looks like a very good choice. I bought a plane to get my PPL and it worked out well for me.

Have fun flying

Gary

That's one of the most appealing paint schemes I've seen - very nice!

Congratulations she's beautiful!! I'm looking for a ship to buy for myself for IFR training and onward, I'd be happy if its half a nice!

Back