Should a photo be necessary to claim an airport

Should proof be required to claim an airport for the CONUS Challenge?

• Yes

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
For the CONUS Challenge, should we require some sort of proof of a landing, or is the pilot's word good enough?

Proof argument: There will be no disputes later about whether or not an airport was claimed. Also, there will be a strong incentive to photograph the airport for other's use later. Since this challenge is intended to promote GA and get business out to FBOs and other airport businesses, this would require a full stop landing, which may actually promote business, while a touch and go would not give any business to the airport.

No Proof Argument: We're all pilots. We are an honest group to begin with. Why should be have to prove that we've done what we said we did? The logbook wouldn't be falsified, why would this? It makes us feel like we're naturally dishonest. I don't have a camera, or a GPS, and many airports have no way to prove without mounting a flag as suggested.

What say y'all?

BTW - this poll will end at the end of July. There may or may not be any additional meaning to this stop date.

I said yes, merely because I'd love to see a gallery of photographs of EVERY public airport in the lower-48 :D

So I don't even think it needs to have some kind of "Verification", but a picture from every airport would be awesome (And if we could get pics on final, we could completely rebuild Airnav's photo database :D )

That's actually not a bad idea.
Perhaps we could make this a "photograph every airport in the lower 48 in one year" contest?

infotango said:
That's actually not a bad idea.
Perhaps we could make this a "photograph every airport in the lower 48 in one year" contest?

I really would like to see Airnav have to update all of their photos :D

wbarnhill said:
I said yes, merely because I'd love to see a gallery of photographs of EVERY public airport in the lower-48 :D

Ditto!

Yeah can you imagine what a great thing to have!!!!

Can't wait to see what the web site will look like. (hint hint)

wbarnhill said:
I really would like to see Airnav have to update all of their photos :D

Right! along with (if it is not otherwise obvious) an indication of North so we can tell what direction the photo was made from. It don't hep much to know that the runway is 13-31 if you can't tell which way on the photo is 13.

I thought I didn't care but after pondering it a bit I really like the idea of that kind of photo database. I wonder what the disk space and bandwidth requirements of the server will be. Could be expensive.

Joe

Areeda said:
I thought I didn't care but after pondering it a bit I really like the idea of that kind of photo database. I wonder what the disk space and bandwidth requirements of the server will be. Could be expensive.

Joe

I or any other peoples could share off some bandwidth.

Areeda said:

Joe
Disk space..Not a factor at all. Hard drives are dirt cheap.

Let's just say that you bought a 250 GIG drive..We'll also say that people took HIGH resolution 4 megapixel images. They would be a little under a megabyte per picture.

250 gig = 250,000 megabyte = 250,000 pictures.

A 250 gig hard drive is like $80

As far as bandwidth. I really don't think that would be an issue. You could potentially get screwed if you do not manage your own web server as the costs are high with many of the hosts.

Manage your own web server and bandwidth would be fairly cheap. Maybe $50 per month for a major busy website ( doubt it would get this busy ) throw on some google advertisements on the side or something..and it would pay for itself.

Something tells me that money can/will be made with this.

I'm suing if you do.

Legal Department
CONUS Challenge, INC.

jangell said:
Something tells me that money can/will be made with this.

Steve said:
I'm suing if you do.

Legal Department
CONUS Challenge, INC.
CON US Challenge? Hmm...

[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Bookman Old Style,Arial]
REQUEST FOR URGENT BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP

FIRST, I MUST SOLICIT YOUR STRICTEST CONFIDENCE IN THIS TRANSACTION. THIS IS BY VIRTUE OF ITS NATURE AS BEING UTTERLY CONFIDENTIAL AND 'TOP SECRET'. I AM SURE AND HAVE CONFIDENCE OF YOUR ABILITY AND RELIABILITY TO PROSECUTE A TRANSACTION OF THIS GREAT MAGNITUDE INVOLVING A PENDING TRANSACTION REQUIRING MAXIIMUM CONFIDENCE.

WE ARE TOP OFFICIAL OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT CONTRACT REVIEW PANEL WHO ARE INTERESTED IN IMPORATION OF GOODS INTO OUR COUNTRY WITH FUNDS WHICH ARE PRESENTLY TRAPPED IN NIGERIA. IN ORDER TO COMMENCE THIS BUSINESS WE SOLICIT YOUR ASSISTANCE TO ENABLE US TRANSFER INTO YOUR ACCOUNT THE SAID TRAPPED FUNDS.

THE SOURCE OF THIS FUND IS AS FOLLOWS; DURING THE LAST MILITARY REGIME HERE IN NIGERIA, THE GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS SET UP COMPANIES AND AWARDED THEMSELVES CONTRACTS WHICH WERE GROSSLY OVER-INVOICED IN VARIOUS MINISTRIES. THE PRESENT CIVILIAN GOVERNMENT SET UP A CONTRACT REVIEW PANEL AND WE HAVE IDENTIFIED A LOT OF INFLATED CONTRACT FUNDS WHICH ARE PRESENTLY FLOATING IN THE CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA READY FOR PAYMENT.

HOWEVER, BY VIRTUE OF OUR POSITION AS CIVIL SERVANTS AND MEMBERS OF THIS PANEL, WE CANNOT ACQUIRE THIS MONEY IN OUR NAMES. I HAVE THEREFORE, BEEN DELEGATED AS A MATTER OF TRUST BY MY COLLEAGUES OF THE PANEL TO LOOK FOR AN OVERSEAS PARTNER INTO WHOSE ACCOUNT WE WOULD TRANSFER THE SUM OF US$21,320,000.00(TWENTY ONE MILLION, THREE HUNDRED AND TWENTY THOUSAND U.S DOLLARS). HENCE WE ARE WRITING YOU THIS LETTER. WE HAVE AGREED TO SHARE THE MONEY THUS; 1. 20% FOR THE ACCOUNT OWNER 2. 70% FOR US (THE OFFICIALS) 3. 10% TO BE USED IN SETTLING TAXATION AND ALL LOCAL AND FOREIGN EXPENSES. IT IS FROM THE 70% THAT WE WISH TO COMMENCE THE IMPORTATION BUSINESS.

PLEASE,NOTE THAT THIS TRANSACTION IS 100% SAFE AND WE HOPE TO COMMENCE THE TRANSFER LATEST SEVEN (7) BANKING DAYS FROM THE DATE OF THE RECEIPT OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATIOM BY TEL/FAX; 555-5-555555, YOUR COMPANY'S SIGNED, AND STAMPED LETTERHEAD PAPER THE ABOVE INFORMATION WILL ENABLE US WRITE LETTERS OF CLAIM AND JOB DESCRIPTION RESPECTIVELY. THIS WAY WE WILL USE YOUR COMPANY'S NAME TO APPLY FOR PAYMENT AND RE-AWARD THE CONTRACT IN YOUR COMPANY'S NAME.

WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO DOING THIS BUSINESS WITH YOU AND SOLICIT YOUR CONFIDENTIALITY IN THIS TRANSATION. PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE THE RECEIPT OF THIS LETTER USING THE ABOVE TEL/FAX NUMBERS. I WILL SEND YOU DETAILED INFORMATION OF THIS PENDING PROJECT WHEN I HAVE HEARD FROM YOU.

YOURS FAITHFULLY,

DR CLEMENT OKON

NOTE; PLEASE QUOTE THIS REFERENCE NUMBER (SC/4/MM/3R) IN ALL YOUR RESPONSES.
[/FONT]
Muhahah.. er, I mean, I look forward to doing business with you.

:D

Steve said:
I'm suing if you do.

Legal Department
CONUS Challenge, INC.
Coming soon to the internet near you...

Back