Shortest Landing You Will See Today

I landed a Taylorcraft F19 backwards at the nut tree airport in Fairfield california. Winds were straight down the runway and I was on my long dual cross country. Tailwheel popped into swivel when we touched down. It was quite unnerving for a student but turned out to be a non event. It is very strange to see the runway moving the wrong direction as you touch down though....

Frank

Well we certainly can’t have two of you. How do we decide who is the “okayest” of them all?

Well, Tim could be the okayest instrument pilot if he ever finishes the rating and Clue could be the okayest sport pilot. I'll settle for world's second okayest newbie sport pilot.....

Wow.

So question - if you can take off in what, 6ft?, in that wind - how does a gust not just blow that plane over while it was parked?
Because those barn door flaps would be up. Otherwise It's probably in a hangar, or very securely tied down. Just like any other plane.

Not exactly. My new plane's expected stall speed is 20 mph. The 3-point AOA is quite high. Wind exposure needs to be managed accordingly. Slat locks, flap locks, wing covers with spoilers, etc are all in play. I'm planning to make a tail stand to reduce the AOA in the tie down. Sometimes guys do everything they can and the wind still wins. That's why we buy insurance.

Not exactly. My new plane's expected stall speed is 20 mph. The 3-point AOA is quite high. Wind exposure needs to be managed accordingly. Slat locks, flap locks, wing covers with spoilers, etc are all in play. I'm planning to make a tail stand to reduce the AOA in the tie down. Sometimes guys do everything they can and the wind still wins. That's why we buy insurance.
I've heard when guys are camping out they'll dig big holes for the mains and bury them up to the axle. That way it lowers the AoA and prevents it from rolling.

Back