Shortest Cross Country

How about IFR? My shortest IFR cross-country is 84 nm. I'm sure plenty of people can beat that.

I do have you beat. My shortest IFR cross-country was KZPH to KVDF, 16.2 nm. 300 foot ceilings, runway 23 at both airports are closely aligned. I learned it is no fun at all to be that busy in IMC. I made the bonehead mistake of not having the approach loaded before takeoff.

I do have you beat. My shortest IFR cross-country was KZPH to KVDF, 16.2 nm. 300 foot ceilings, runway 23 at both airports are closely aligned. I learned it is no fun at all to be that busy in IMC. I made the bonehead mistake of not having the approach loaded before takeoff.
"Cleared to KVDF via vectors to final, ILS runway 23"?

Very close, ILS was out of service, RNAV runway 23. Didn't get the approach in the clearance on the ground though.

I’ve never flown it but was looking for land near an airport and noticed VA61 and VA62 are about half a mile apart

F69 (Dallas Air Park) to KADS (Addison TX) ~ 3NM

The actual flown distance was a bit more since I had to do 360 turns to gain altitude and separation.
Reason: On my way back to KADS, Approach informed me of runway closure due to a landing aircraft incident.
Knowing that there would be a rush at KTKI for diversions, I chose to land at F69 and then returned as soon as the runway at KADS was open again.

1706490280768.png

3W2 (Put-in-Bay, Lower Bass Island, Ohio) to 58OH (Rattlesnake Island) 2.43 nautical miles, most of which is over Lake Erie.

Back