Short XC with pictures

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
Last Saturday i flew from Orlando Executive (KORL) to Sebastion Muni (X26) with my daughter and one of her friends (both 12). My daughter has flown with me several times starting when she was 6 and I first got my cert. She likes it as long as it's not bumpy. Her friend had never been in a small plane before.

We left KORL at about 8:45 AM, flying out to the east to stay out of the Class B around OIA. About 4-5 miles east of KORL we saw the smoke trail from the moon probe launched form the cape. (First pic) As we turned south east to head toward Sebastion we climbed above the few clouds hanging out around 1500 ft.

The three of us were enjoying the cruising along.

We passed over an abandoned airfield which I'd like to see if I can find on a map. When we got close to Sebastion, there was another pilot announcing that he was approaching from the south west and was going to enter a right base for runway 8. I wondered if I had missed something because I thought it was left traffic. Soon the jump plane pilot came on the CTAF and said "Left traffic at Sebastion!" The hapless pilot sheepishly now said that he was entering a left base for runway 8. Which was just what I was about to do. I did not have him in sight so I circled away to the north until he announced on final. I then announced left base for 8. About that time the jump plane pilot announced "Skydivers in the air over Seabastion, do not overfly Sebastion." I landed, taxied in and heard "Chutes open over Sebastion." We looked out and watched the skydivers landing along side of the taxiway in front of the skydiving place. Pretty cool stuff for a first airplane ride!

After visiting the FBO (really nice folks!), we started up and taxied out to 8. The jump plane had landed and taken off with another load by then. We were only on the ground for ~15-20 minutes. As we took off he announced "Skydivers in the air over Sebastion." again.

Just about the time we cleared the trees, the girls told me the door had popped open! I told them not to be concerned, that it wouldn't open enough to fall out to which my daughter's friend replied "I've got my seatbelt on anyway." With skydivers in the air over Sebastion, I decided to fly up the coast to Valkaria (only about 8 miles). We landed there, closed the door and joined the queue for takeoff.

After taking off from Valkaria I climbed up to 4500 feet to get out of the bumps. After we passed Melbourne, I looked out to the north east and could see the entire Cape Canaveral airstation, Kennedy Space Center and Canaveral National Seashore laid out before us. I realize that for you folks out west 40 miles viz is practically IMC, but for summertime in central Florida this is phenomenal!

We had an uneventful flight back to home plate and a good time was had by all.

Just wanted to share.
John

Attachments

• DSC_0350.JPG
    DSC_0350.JPG
    945.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN0365.JPG
    DSCN0365.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • DSCN0349.JPG
    DSCN0349.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0344.JPG
    DSCN0344.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCN0343.JPG
    DSCN0343.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • DSCN0342.JPG
    DSCN0342.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Nice pics and it sounds like a good time was had by all... How old is your daughter?

Back