short XC today

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
well today was my day to fly the glider. weekends that I have in Ames are few and far between to begin with and I am scheduled to tow tomorrow. Gave a ride to an AerE buddy of mine in late morning. it was a slow tow with DA's already approaching 3000 and temps pushing into the 90s. nothing was working except for some zero sink at 1000 feet.

got some lunch, got the glider ready. hoped that something would be working by 1 pm. there was a fairly good sized tstorm building to the south as i was pulling down. could hear thunder in the distance. launched. good lift but could see bigtime shadow/darkness to the south. climbed to 4500 agl pretty easily. sometimes the vario was showing up to 600 fpm! i decided to head east and stay in front of the storm as it headed north. thought that there would be good lift all along leading edge. oops.

the outflow seemed to start about then and killed all the lift. i kept heading east trying to get in some sunlight or under that really good looking cloud etc. no joy. some weak stuff or something that was really broken up was all i could find. at 2000 AGL and unwinding i noticed i was near a grass strip on US Highway 30 that i always pass on my drive. decided to stay in the neighborhood. 1500 I realized the wind was significantly out of the south now. that Tstorm was exhaling. I beat it to the grass strip still hoping to find something on the way. nothing worth working and entered a downwindish kinda thing and turned final and landed.

crew is on the way i knock on the farmers door. old fellow very kind, tells me that they had just taken the hay bales off the runway today. THANKS!! :D

glider was home and I was cleaned up easily in time for supper and lies. lotsa fun even on a short trip. bout 15 miles in 45 minutes total.

got some good pictures but ill have to post them tomorrow.

Sounds like a great trip.

Sure was very hot and Muggy down in the KC area yesterday but not much wind, and a few cumulus, but not many. Kind of a weird day.
HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon

The state of Iowa is under a "Stagnant Air Advisory" this weekend. We have some serious haze and not a lot of airmass movement. The low vis made the tstorms a little tough to spot.

I'm always impressed with Tony's ability to find great landout spots. The crew was able to drive right out on the runway to put the Cherokee away.

The 15 mile drive from the airport was a little excessive, though. I'd rather see him try to best my record of landing out only 8 miles from the airport!;)

The state of Iowa is under a "Stagnant Air Advisory" this weekend. We have some serious haze and not a lot of airmass movement. The low vis made the tstorms a little tough to spot.

I'm always impressed with Tony's ability to find great landout spots. The crew was able to drive right out on the runway to put the Cherokee away.

The 15 mile drive from the airport was a little excessive, though. I'd rather see him try to best my record of landing out only 8 miles from the airport!;)
You owe me a beer or so. I managed to land about 2 miles from the airport in a nice bean field. Farmer towed me to the road with an H Farmall. The lift and my optimism both deserted me. Well, I wasn't really trying to land out but I broke my maiden.

the easiest way to find great landout spots is to just leave the airport and have no intention of coming back ;) they really are everywhere...

here are some pictures...

1) immediately after landing
2) tied down
3) the wind sock
4) down the wing
5) playing dead

Attachments

• DSC01274.JPG
    DSC01274.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC01276.JPG
    DSC01276.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC01279.JPG
    DSC01279.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC01282.JPG
    DSC01282.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC01288.JPG
    DSC01288.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 38
You owe me a beer or so. I managed to land about 2 miles from the airport in a nice bean field. Farmer towed me to the road with an H Farmall. The lift and my optimism both deserted me. Well, I wasn't really trying to land out but I broke my maiden.

Jim -- CONGRATS!

Lets meet sometime I would love to talk about it. Im glad you made the excellent decision to give up on the silly airport when it was looking grim. Give me a ring...

Playing Dead! Ha! Thats great! I didn't see you laying there in the thumbnail you showed me at the house.

Good job keeping it together Jim. Did you get any pictures?

May your next one be 200 miles away.

Matt Michael

I bet we could make the SSA calendar if we landed a Foka, a Cherokee, and a Woodstock in the same field and shot a photo. I can't imagine it would be possible without involving one us.

Back