Short XC flights from KAPA

GauzeGuy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GauzeGuy
I'm looking to build some XC hours in anticipation of doing my instrument check ride in the next few months. Thing is, I'm not entirely thrilled with the idea of going somewhere only for the hours, or logging hours by acting as a safety pilot.

I'm planning flights to KRAP, KSAF and KLBL already, what else is out there that might have an airport near anything of historical significance
(aviation museums, etc?) I'm looking for a couple places within 400 NM of KAPA where I can leave in the morning, have the better part of 24 hours to check the area out, and be back the following evening.

Hutchinson, KS - Air & Space museum isn't too bad.
PUB - of course you know this one (but it is XC time)

DFW area is a skosh longer than 400nm, but our friendliness will make up for it. And we're known to buy visiting pilots dinner.

Their is a museum at KPUB with a B-29 as well as some other cool aircraft. Worth the flight from KAPA.

http://www.pwam.org/

Both would be a bit longer than your 400NM but both are worth the trips.

430NM to KFOE and the Combat Air Museum
480NM to KMKC and the National Airline History Museum

And don't forget Airventure this summer.

Check out the SocialFlight app for the iPad/iPhone that lists events/things of interests by distance.

the cosmosphere in Hutchinson is way better than "not too bad". V1, V2, SR-71, and a mercury, gemini, and the apollo 13 capsule, all in one place.

Los Alamos, NM (LAM) - Atomic and history museums.
Alamagordo, NM (ALM) - Space history museum, White Sands National Monument
Winslow, AZ (INW) Restored Harvey hotel with one of the best restaurants in AZ, and of course the corner to stand on:)

KATS first Saturday of every month has a fly-in breakfast. Good company and good food.

I've been at KATS breakfast a few times before my medical was denied. It's pretty cool. But he needs to wake up at 5 a.m. to make it, considering the distance. It was a challenge for me.

Thanks everyone!

I think I have my next 10 trips figured out at this point. Going to be no shortage of hours to be had there, just gotta find the time and AMU's to fit it all in...

Hutchinson, KS - Air & Space museum isn't too bad.
PUB - of course you know this one (but it is XC time)

The KHUT trip was a great idea, just did that flight the other day. I could have spent hours at the Cosmosphere -- lots of cool stuff to see. As it was, I only had time for an overnight.

I've also done XC flights to KRAP, KDLH, KABQ and KPUB since my check ride just 3 months ago. Pretty well set for hours for the instrument rating at this point.

The KHUT trip was a great idea, just did that flight the other day. I could have spent hours at the Cosmosphere -- lots of cool stuff to see. As it was, I only had time for an overnight.

I've also done XC flights to KRAP, KDLH, KABQ and KPUB since my check ride just 3 months ago. Pretty well set for hours for the instrument rating at this point.

Went to the Cosmosphere's space camp back when I was growing up in Kansas, definitely planning a trip back there again once I finish my certificate. Glad you got to check it out, place is incredible. Was gonna recommend the museum at KPUB, but looks like you already checked it out (guessing most of us flying outta KAPA did that one pretty early :lol:) Spent an entire day there on my solo XC and still didn't have time to check out everything in the second hangar.

I need to go back to the Cosmosphere. The last time I was there I didn't get to see the entire museum as I had to go back to work. KCNM would be lots of fun. My wife is from Carlsbad, the Caverns are worth the trip!

Back