Short Term Insurance

FlySince9

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jerry
Found this Previous thread
(very) short term insurance I even put in my 2 cents but the thread ended abruptly with no conclusions...

I am now in need of some advice on the subject... I'm looking at an airplane that has both a lapsed annual and lapsed insurance (annual expired May 2018). This guy is virtually out of money but I was able to talk him into an annual and a copy of the punch list afterwards. Now, however, moving it about 25 miles for a pre-purchase at a Mooney service center would require getting some insurance on it. If all goes well at the prepurchase, I'm gonna take delivery there and have a few things done to it while its there so the 2 possibilities are:

One way: Passes prepurchase, after which I take it and put my own insurance on it
Two way: If the airplane fails the prepurchase...

Total time shouldn't be more than a couple of days, maybe a week at the most...

Thoughts?

You won't find short term "trip" insurance. No money in it for underwriters. If you buy a policy and cancel after the trip, you'll pay a short rate equal to 3 mos of coverage.
Do you own an aircraft now? If so, that insurance policy may cover you flying non-owned aircraft. If not, you could buy a cheap non-owner liability only, or liability and hull policy, and if the Mooney passes your prepurchase, convert that policy to a standard pleasure and business contract.
Or the Mooney service center could ferry it, and possibly get it on their commercial policy. Am I right in understanding you talked the owner into getting the aircraft currently in annual? If it's currently out of annual, no one will cover it.

You won't find short term "trip" insurance. No money in it for underwriters. If you buy a policy and cancel after the trip, you'll pay a short rate equal to 3 mos of coverage.
Do you own an aircraft now? If so, that insurance policy may cover you flying non-owned aircraft. If not, you could buy a cheap non-owner liability only, or liability and hull policy, and if the Mooney passes your prepurchase, convert that policy to a standard pleasure and business contract.
Or the Mooney service center could ferry it, and possibly get it on their commercial policy. Am I right in understanding you talked the owner into getting the aircraft currently in annual? If it's currently out of annual, no one will cover it.
Yes... going into annual this Tuesday...Thanks

Found this Previous thread
(very) short term insurance I even put in my 2 cents but the thread ended abruptly with no conclusions...

I am now in need of some advice on the subject... I'm looking at an airplane that has both a lapsed annual and lapsed insurance (annual expired May 2018). This guy is virtually out of money but I was able to talk him into an annual and a copy of the punch list afterwards. Now, however, moving it about 25 miles for a pre-purchase at a Mooney service center would require getting some insurance on it. If all goes well at the prepurchase, I'm gonna take delivery there and have a few things done to it while its there so the 2 possibilities are:

One way: Passes prepurchase, after which I take it and put my own insurance on it
Two way: If the airplane fails the prepurchase...

Total time shouldn't be more than a couple of days, maybe a week at the most...

Thoughts?

Hire ferry pilot who has insurance.

Back