Short landing

From the looks of it they aren't walking away too far though.

I haven't read the linked article not shall I. The thread title reminds me of a post I made some years back. I said I landed a PA-28 Warrior II in 400 feet. Some, including pilots I highly respect, said it couldn't have been done 'cept the aircraft would be unairworthy after the fact.

Judge for yourself. KFAT RWY 11R, clear at what is now B12.

Sure that's possible with enough headwind, and probably with a below stall speed approach and a lot of power in ground effect over that huge blast pad. Though you must have really really wanted to get to Signature in a hurry to try something like that. I hate to say it, but I'm not real impressed with very short landings on 8000 foot runways. Unnecessary risk.

And you really should read the article (or watch the video) before responding to it. You're way off topic.

Last edited:
Excessive braking in a tail dragger can lift the tail very quickly. Some planes are harder to recover than others. Cubs flip pretty easily, Skywagons not so much. Sometimes even good pilots make mistakes and sometimes the brakes may contribute when the pilot wasn't expecting it, like after filling the brake masters on a cool morning and landing on a warm afternoon. Stuff happens.

Looks like the plane was just happy to be on the ground and gave it a big kiss.

I haven't read the linked article not shall I. The thread title reminds me of a post I made some years back. I said I landed a PA-28 Warrior II in 400 feet. Some, including pilots I highly respect, said it couldn't have been done 'cept the aircraft would be unairworthy after the fact.

Judge for yourself. KFAT RWY 11R, clear at what is now B12.

Looks good.
KBED, Rwy 29 and exit immediately on Echo approach end, not departure end.

Excessive braking in a tail dragger can lift the tail very quickly. Some planes are harder to recover than others. Cubs flip pretty easily, Skywagons not so much. Sometimes even good pilots make mistakes and sometimes the brakes may contribute when the pilot wasn't expecting it, like after filling the brake masters on a cool morning and landing on a warm afternoon. Stuff happens.

There is an STC for the S Cub that moves the gear 3 inches forward and I think lifts the fuselage 3 inches in the process. Helps keep the tail down and helps clear longer props.

Back