Short Fuse Thread, but wondering.....

poadeleted1

Deleted by request
Anyone around Roanoke, VA? I am going up Monday PM, leaving Tuesday PM. Good places for dinner? Staying at the Wyndham....:dunno: no idea what to do except sleep and read. Any thoughts?

KP

F.W. Birdman said:
Anyone around Roanoke, VA? I am going up Monday PM, leaving Tuesday PM. Good places for dinner? Staying at the Wyndham....:dunno: no idea what to do except sleep and read. Any thoughts?

KP

Blue Ridge Parkway passes through the east side of town. Grab the rental car and go for an evening cruise.

F.W. Birdman said:

KP

Mill Mountain (the one with the star) is a nice view of the city.

Been quite a while since I spent much time there (did my undergraduate work in Blacksburg... Roanoke was the nearest city.

Salem has (or used to have) a Carolina League minor league baseball team. I find minor league ball to be more entertaining and "homey" than major.

It's a bit of a ride, but there were a couple of good restaurants in Lexington just up the road. I suspect that there are several newer (compared to when I was there) restaurants in Roanoke that are good, too. There used to be a local place called the Roanoker, don't know whether it's still there. You may want to check out Market Square and see if there are still restaurants there.

Roanoke Times is the newspaper. Here's the website: http://www.roanoke.com/

Have fun. It's a scenic area....

EA,

Been busy. Reactor head replacements (both units). Lots of OT. Flying some, but not a whole lots. Seems like every time I have time the wx is <1, <2000. Our SE-NW rwy is closed, so now its lots of x-wind practice....just about fed up with SoFla. Already had to get ready for hurricane season and its s'posed to be a bizzy one. Time to move one, I think. Hopefully I am a good fit for something I found in Roanoke area, and they will pay me nicely.

But enough about me...how's your flying coming along?

K.P. What ever happened to the Paris, Texas thing? We're you coming out this way (to Texas) to look at things?

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
K.P. What ever happened to the Paris, Texas thing? We're you coming out this way (to Texas) to look at things?

Best,

Dave

Ah yes, the Paris job....well, it seems that my companys' nuclear generation division has my corpus delecti and that it has been deemed "mission essential". Armed with that, my Engineering Manager said no. My retort? Good, then give me more money or the game is on.....where I am now I cannot move up, I cannot move laterally, can't even go to another plant for a change of scenery. It's here or nowhere.

Last week I was interviewing a young lad, degreed ME with "pump experience" but no nuclear or power generation experience who wanted $100K to start. He might just get it because median house price in metro Miami-Dade is in the mid $250K range (and those are the poopboxes). The school system is the pits and the place never sleeps. I need a break from that. Oh, and the kid graduated in 2002 from UF - not exactly a prestigious engineering school (it's OK, but not really known for engineering)

So now....it might be back to my former employer. At least they don't have hurricanes in Roanoke.

F.W. Birdman said:
So now....it might be back to my former employer. At least they don't have hurricanes in Roanoke.

No, but the windsheer can be a booger. :eek:

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

K.P. Let me know what you do. I get to Chesapeake pretty frequently. Have an old special Ops friend in Roanoke. Where are you in Florida now?

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Dave Siciliano said:
K.P. Let me know what you do. I get to Chesapeake pretty frequently. Have an old special Ops friend in Roanoke. Where are you in Florida now?

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Dave,

Currently work in wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy south Miami-Dade County (see MIA sectional) follow the ragged coast south of Miami to Turkey Pt. Nuclear plant near Homestead ARB. I live about 2 miles off of 27 left at KTMB which is about 8 miles WSW of MIA.

If I can find a club or a good place to rent, I would go to Chesapeake, Jamestown, or almost any of those places in the area.

KP

still flying, vastly improved due to more consistency finally. took nearly 5 months off this winter (mid Nov-April) and for 2 months was flying once a week (despite 2-3x scheduling) and for some reason this past month has had weather just off-enough (or transponder probs, etc etc) that it's been every other week now. nonetheless - improving. good days/bad days - I'll feel like I have landings nailed then ooof there's a hard one. overall this was a decent spring, 2003 was simply and absolutely an awful spring - for months on end - and then in 2004 I was down many months for the eye surgery/recovery.

nice to see you online though!! how do you like Miami in general?

woodstock said:
how do you like Miami in general?

well, if you are a young swinging hip person with LOTS of money it seems to be a fine place. The lifestyle is go go go, and oh yeah, this is Northern Havana, so spanish is a MUST. If you speak a bit of Haitian Creole, it can be helpful as well.

Weather is generally good, except for certain times of the year, like in the pre-hurricane season when afternoon and evening TS's abound (March-June), hurricane season (June thru November), and of course winter (ha ha). We made it thru the winter with no cold weather related issues for our 3 172s and our 182! I think we had a day or two when the lows got into the upper 30's. Brrrrrr!:rofl:

Depending on the airfield, you can get lots of xwind practice, although the winds, when not storming, are generally light (<10).

Move 50-75 miles north to Broward or Palm Beach counties and it is a totally different cosmos.:yes: it's true.

KP

Back