Short Field Takeoff - Arrow II

FWIW, the 182N POH has Vy data for different weights and altitudes:

Weight .0 DA. . 5K DA . 10K DA. 15K DA. 20K DA
2950. . 89. . . 87. . . 85. . . 83
2500. . 87. . . 85. . . 83. . . 80. . . 78
2000. . 84. . . 82. . . 79. . . 76. . . 74

Those are the Vy numbers in mph IAS.

Last edited:
John, IIRC the A36 POH does not include short field guidance.

It doesn't provide guidance with respect to technique, but the later model POH has charts on takeoff with flaps up and at the approach setting. And there was an "Owner's Manual" (preceded the POH) that discussed obstacle takeoff procedure for the early 36/A36 aircraft.

Couldn't changes in Vx and Vy be calculated based on some combination of L/dmax, Vs, and excess horsepower?
Yes, they can, but it's a lot of computing and you need a lot of data. Most college level aerodynamics texts will have the forumae you need. And, IIRC, Vx and Vy are functions of (among other things) L/Dmax^(3/2).

It doesn't provide guidance with respect to technique, but the later model POH has charts on takeoff with flaps up and at the approach setting. And there was an "Owner's Manual" (preceded the POH) that discussed obstacle takeoff procedure for the early 36/A36 aircraft.

Raytheon put out a POH for the early (1947) -35 I flew a few times and it had short field recommendations.

The Bonanza Society published guidance too, IIRC.

It's been a couple of years since I've flown Bos.

Great airplanes!

Well the oral was today and went fine - and when I talked about short field and the climb performance, the inspector agreed that at low density altitude and low weight the airplane would climb so rapidly that even though it was accelerating toward Vx you'd likely be above the obstacle by the time you reached it. It was nice to have a greybeard inspector with several thousand of hours of GA instruction given and who still does it as well as being a CAP check pilot.

Well the oral was today and went fine - and when I talked about short field and the climb performance, the inspector agreed that at low density altitude and low weight the airplane would climb so rapidly that even though it was accelerating toward Vx you'd likely be above the obstacle by the time you reached it. It was nice to have a greybeard inspector with several thousand of hours of GA instruction given and who still does it as well as being a CAP check pilot.

Excellent news! Congrats!

So I'm guessing today's wx was bad for you as well?

(5" so far and it continues -- my 1 hour commute was 2.4 logged coming home)

Excellent news! Congrats!

So I'm guessing today's wx was bad for you as well?

(5" so far and it continues -- my 1 hour commute was 2.4 logged coming home)
Yes, right now I just blew off about 5 inches of wet stuff - I'm supposed to go fly tomorrow afternoon. I think what I'm going to do tomorrow is drive out to the airport with the snowblower and shovels and such and work to get the plane free, unless the inspector cancels in the morning. It should be clear and gusty tomorrow (I love turbulence on checkrides) but the question will be how quickly they can get the roads passable and the airports open.

Yes, right now I just blew off about 5 inches of wet stuff - I'm supposed to go fly tomorrow afternoon. I think what I'm going to do tomorrow is drive out to the airport with the snowblower and shovels and such and work to get the plane free, unless the inspector cancels in the morning. It should be clear and gusty tomorrow (I love turbulence on checkrides) but the question will be how quickly they can get the roads passable and the airports open.

See the hangar thread!

:D

My schedule CFI ride I took off from VVS with winds 25G37, landed at FWQ. We did the oral and the examiner said, "Kinda windy today, hunh?"

We didn't fly that day -- I wrote up the whole less than happy experience here.

It sounds like you will have a far better experience.

Back