Shopping for a C-180 on floats

Kevin16587

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin16587
Posting for a friend in Alaska looking for a 180 on floats. He is probably open to looking anywhere and everywhere and traveling to look at the right plane. I suggested using a broker to assist him, but I really don't know much about that process.

What are the suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting for a friend in Alaska looking for a 180 on floats. He is probably open to looking anywhere and everywhere and traveling to look at the right plane. I suggested using a broker to assist him, but I really don't know much about that process.

What are the suggestions?

Are you familiar with skywagons.com?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between a Cessna 180, Cessna 182, and Cessna 185 on floats? Been trying to learn more about floatplanes.

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between a Cessna 180, Cessna 182, and Cessna 185 on floats? Been trying to learn more about floatplanes.

180/185, fuel injection, strength, 24v, higher gross

182, well it was never a factory float plane, so that about ends that, also a trike, so even on wheels, they do make a good budget skydive aircraft however.

To the OP, I'd also ask around on backcountrypilot.org, decent chance their is a member with one, or knows of one for sale. Phenomenal aircraft BTW

180 has between 2550 and 2800 gross depending on year/model. All had o-470 power. 185s had 3200-3350 gross and IO-470 or IO-520 power depending on year. Both always had jackscrew trim. Legacy 182s had o-470 power and while early straight tail models had jackscrews the swept tails had trim tabs. when mgodified for floats the 182s (all models) make great float planes.

All Cessnas were 14v until 1978, then all were 28v. All Cessnas use mph until 1976 and then all used knots.

For the uninitiated, what are the tradeoffs with jackscrew trim vs. trim tab?

180 has between 2550 and 2800 gross depending on year/model. All had o-470 power. 185s had 3200-3350 gross and IO-470 or IO-520 power depending on year. Both always had jackscrew trim. Legacy 182s had o-470 power and while early straight tail models had jackscrews the swept tails had trim tabs. when mgodified for floats the 182s (all models) make great float planes.

All Cessnas were 14v until 1978, then all were 28v. All Cessnas use mph until 1976 and then all used knots.

Not sure about the 182 bit, I mean they were never designed by Cessna to be on floats, no factory corrosion protection, no factory float reinforcement, there's a reason in the skywagon world the factory float wagons for for more, but you know this.

Per the jackscrew vs trim tab, Jack screw has more umphf, you're trimming the whole stab basically, and is also more aerodynamic since it's not deflection a control surface, draw back is you're moving more stuff / mx

The big advantage of a full trimming horizontal tail is the wide CG range. Cubs and Skywagons rule the utility backcountry category as a result.

A trim tab changes control pressure. A jack screw changes the tail. That's a big deal on floats.

Last edited:
Yes, I've seen that forum and I recommended it to my friend. Thanks.

Uh, it's not a forum; it's the web page of a broker in Placerville, CA who specializes in selling Cessna 180s and 185s. Maybe you are thinking of skywagons.org which is a forum?

I almost purchased a C185 from skywagons.com, but there were too many problems with that particular plane for me to move forward at the price I was looking at.

Uh, it's not a forum; it's the web page of a broker in Placerville, CA who specializes in selling Cessna 180s and 185s. Maybe you are thinking of skywagons.org which is a forum?

I almost purchased a C185 from skywagons.com, but there were too many problems with that particular plane for me to move forward at the price I was looking at.

Yep, I misread that. Thanks for the clarification. I'll pass that on to him.

Any recommendations for a knowledgeable A&P near St Cloud, MN? He has his eye on one there and wants to get it checked out.

I told him to join here and post the same question which he did a week ago. He said there were no replies but it's entirely possible he posted it in the wrong place.

Didn't that broker get busted and charged for money laundering?

If you're talking about skywagons.com, I don't think so. I think you're thinking about the B Thomas guy:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/verdict-against-barron-thomas.58039/

While I didn't actually complete a deal with Mark at skywagons.com, we did get close on a deal, and I don't have any complaints. He dealt with me fairly, and worked to find a plane to meet my needs.

Well THATS the problem, it's all about the A185Fs ;)

Yeah, yeah, Okay, technically it was a Cessna A185F. Still somewhat regret not doing the deal for N93010, but my Viking sure is a lot faster.

May get a Just Super STOL one day to satisfy the land anywhere urge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure about the 182 bit, I mean they were never designed by Cessna to be on floats, no factory corrosion protection, no factory float reinforcement, there's a reason in the skywagon world the factory float wagons for for more, but you know this.

There are indeed corrosion protection packages on 182s. I'd venture to guess most didn't get it though, because I've never seen an older 182 with any kind of protection. Also, for what it's worth, the post restart 182s got corrosion protection.

Don't consider this a recommendation for owning a 182 on floats though, just a clarification. If I were going to look for a float plane it would be a 180 or 185.

I seem to recall there being some legal issue with them a few years back, can't remember what it was though.

Yeah, yeah, Okay, technically it was a Cessna A185F. Still somewhat regret not doing the deal for N93010, but my Viking sure is a lot faster.

May get a Just Super STOL one day to satisfy the land anywhere urge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 8.5s a 185 should see 150kts and be able to land in a foot ball field.

Back