Shop Labor

jsadamson1

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
jsadamson1
Is there a such thing as a standard labor rate for replacing certain items?

Similar to getting a car repaired. If you get a transmission replaced the shop manual will call for 4.5 hours. The shop would then charge for 4.5 hrs labor regardless of time it took.

Sometimes there is, but usually there isn't. Depends on the shop and the aircraft and whether the shop is an "factory-authorized service center" for that type aircraft. Problem is that especially among light planes, aircraft vary so much, and there are so few identical situations, that it's just too hard to set one "standard" time for any particular job.

Sometimes there is, but usually there isn't. Depends on the shop and the aircraft and whether the shop is an "factory-authorized service center" for that type aircraft. Problem is that especially among light planes, aircraft vary so much, and there are so few identical situations, that it's just too hard to set one "standard" time for any particular job.

Which can work for or against you..

I had a $900 quote to replace a bad PCM (powertrain control module) on my '96 grand cherokee. The shop wanted $400 in labor to replace this. The PCM is located on the firewall, easily accessible. I protested and they said "that's book time" Said it had to be programmed. Did some digging and found out this was BS, the service manual expressly said the PCM for that motor was interchangeable and did not need programming.

I bought a used one from a junkyard ($100 with a 90 day warranty) and in less than 15 minutes I had it swapped out. It is easily accessible on the firewall, held on by 3 mounting screws. There are 3 wire harness connectors going into it. Simple as removing the harness, unscrewing it, putting the new one in place, and reconnecting the harness.

In an opposite situation I've seen things done by shops that are not on a book time... and if the mechanic gets in over his head you can be looking at a hefty bill.

Anyway just beware of book times. :)

We have a few labor allowance books we use for quotes, but those times a for new planes that aren't filthy, corroded, or other wise effed up.

We flat rate engine removal and installation exclusive of parts or repairs. On anything else there are too many variables due to things like rusted nuts and bolts or unnrelated things that break in the process. Lycoming and Continental used to have flat rate charts but often they did not seem to take into account the engine being installed in an airplane. Difficulty of the job varies a lot by aircraft make and model. Charlie Melot Zephyr Engines

I'll do flat rate labor for some things, but I'm not doing flat rate on labor and parts.

On mags, carbs, and generators I can tell how much time it will take to do the repair, but parts vary too much these days. Core charges shipping stuff like that add too quickly.

To me it's XX bucks plus costs. here is what you need, drop ship to me, I don't do retail sales, or the tax thing either.

Nothing like a Mitchell flat rate manual exists for GA if that's your question, no. You can find specialty shops that do certain jobs at a flat rate because they do enough they know all the problems and all the tricks so they know exactly what they can knock it out for. They are also the most likely to get you out on schedule and budget.

I flat rate all of my work. The time is based on my experience.

Good deal. Glad to know. I have been having a lot of minor work done to the plane and it just seemed weird how some stuff was priced. Glad to get a better understanding of it! Thanks guys!

Fixing a known issue with few 'gotchas' is easy to do at turnkey pricing. Diagnostics is trickier and where a good mechanic earns their money. If you're good at it you can work to the problem quickly & with the least expense. If you're not you just waste time and money firing a parts gun at the problem.

I charge $60 an hour. I don't care if I need to replace one screw or change the oil. And is cheap.
:wink2:

Back