Shingles

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Mother nature's revenge for surviving chicken pox.

I discovered that I have them, 1/2 inch spots on the backs of my hands that itch like crazy and if you scratch them, they burn like fire.

I thought at first it was a sensitivity to some chemicals, but it isn't. typical symptoms of redness at first, itchy, then blisters, which finally scab over and heal up, and leaves a red spot.

They can be a pain. My father in law got them in his eyes.
The doc told him if he had waited any longer he could have lost his sight.

How will they be treated on you next medical? Can you fly taking the medications?

They can be a pain. My father in law got them in his eyes.
The doc told him if he had waited any longer he could have lost his sight.

How will they be treated on you next medical? Can you fly taking the medications?
About 6 months ago I had a spot on my neck, it finally went away, this out break started 3-4 weeks ago. and is pretty much over with now.

So I've taken no medicines. only a topical anesthesia cream. Stop the itch, keep them clean, don't get them infected.

Had them when I was 18. They came, they went away. I found out later what they were. Painful little buggers.

Is there any point in getting the vaccine now?

We were strongly encouraged to get the shots. After we had paid and while he was doing it the pharmacist told us they weren't 100% effective.

Ain't nobody got time for that. You can take acyclovir or valacyclovir (Valtrex).

According to my physician, the vaccine does not prevent the shingles. What it will do is reduce the pain of the attack and reduce the length of time of the outbreak. True, it's rather expensive, between $160 and 200 depending where you get it. But Tom can attest that less painful attck is definitely worth it, true?

Dr Bruce, your opinion please?

According to my physician, the vaccine does not prevent the shingles. What it will do is reduce the pain of the attack and reduce the length of time of the outbreak. True, it's rather expensive, between $160 and 200 depending where you get it. But Tom can attest that less painful attck is definitely worth it, true?

I have a very mild attack, using the cream is effective with out shots..

I hate shots

Yes, get the vaccine. You can still get shingles again.
If it has been less than 72 hours, have your provider put you on antiviral a such as acyclovir. It will reduce the severity and shorten the time.

Ask your provider about lidex patches and gabapentin.

Last edited:
Yes, get the vaccine. You can still get shingles again.
If it has been less than 72 hours, have your provider put you on antiviral a such as acyclovir. It will reduce the severity and shorten the time.

Ask your provider about lidex patches and gabapentin.

72 hours? It's been like 6 months since the first out break.

Yeah, they can be painful as s--t. My doc put me on some kind of steroids for 2 weeks. Amazing stuff, it helped a lot.

One of my colleagues had an attack in her face that destroyed her eye and one of the cranial nerves (all the docs can make fun of me as I can't recall which one). She is now paralyzed in half her face and talks like Sylvester Stallone (who I believe has a cranial nerve severed at birth). Get the vaccine. Shingles can be a big deal.

True story, while Mrs. Steingar has an outbreak I couldn't recall if I've ever had Chicken Pox. Getting Chicken Pox as an adult is a big deal and can be fatal, so Mrs. Steingar got a wide berth. Worse yet, mama Steingar couldn't be counted on for the relevant info. Fortunately elder brother Steingar recalled a case of Chicken Pox, thus worry was averted.

Awfully painful when you get the big outbreak. Have you re-read the book of JOB lately? Prof. Steingar is correct when you get the facial nerve involved, it's a HUGE deal.
We can't tell if you are going to get them or not, or the size of the outbreak.
Efficacy seems to reduce outbreaks by 65% in 10 year period.
Expensive.

A recommendation is therefore difficult, one way or the other.

Awfully painful when you get the big outbreak. Have you re-read the book of JOB lately? Prof. Steingar is correct when you get the facial nerve involved, it's a HUGE deal.
Expensive.
recommendation is therefore difficult, one way or the other.

Do you advise these drugs ??

You can take acyclovir or valacyclovir (Valtrex).

Damn read little more, 3-4 weeks is long time, sorry but did your PCP see the blisters consistent with herpes zoster? You very well could be dealing with something else, rashes can be such a pain in the butt sometimes.

Sorry wrote all that then read your post again. Did you say (hands)? If both hands involved it is very unlikely you have shingles. It is quite rare for 2 dermatomes to be involved at once. Was there pain for no known reason before rash developed? Are you having pain or any additional rash along the arm above where the rash is on your hands?

I usually prescribe if rash has been present less then 48 hours. Valtrex is easier to take but may cost more. Timing is everything with the antivirals, usually if after 48 hours your left to deal with symptoms. However if questionable timing take em, its not going to hurt to try.

Steroids have been met with mixed results. I personally do prescribe them with the antivirals. I believe they do reduce the likelihood of post herpetic neuralgia which can result in reoccurance of the pain for no good reason for up to a year.

Unfortunately the shot doesn't do any good at this point. Some would say wait now as there no point for several months. Your body is getting better dose now then the shot will give you.

Check with your PCP about local apothecary shop. Have them compound a cream with topical lidocaine and whatever else they like. Many of these shops make fantastic products and are overlooked when it comes to topical relief. Nerve pain is the hardest to treat, numbing it at its source is one of my favorite ways to take care of the discomfort along with oral pain meds.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Chronic taking of the "-ovirs" only creates resistance. Then you have a MONSTER.
Thanks Bruce, For now they are not too painful, just that awful itching. 10,000 mosquito bites in one spot. mostly on injured skin. the backs of my hands got sunburned early this spring, that is where the spots are-- really easy to scratch. Triamcinolone cream makes that stop.

Expensive.

A recommendation is therefore difficult, one way or the other.

I can say one will want to kick oneself for not getting the shot if one has even a moderate outbreak. And lying awake at night because the sheets hurt give one lots of time to ponder just how many times one drove past the drug store that had the "shingles vaccine" advertisement out front.

One of the medications offered for the post whatever they call it pain is also used for epilepsy (IIRC). Would one be advised to get a letter from the Dr. explaining the reason for the prescription? (Obviously, one would have to be a freaking moron to attempt to PIC while taking it.)

I never had chicken Pox but I had Shingles. My Mom is still alive today and will tell you I have never had chicken Pox.
BUT when she was pregnant with me my sister had chicken Pox, we believe I had them when she was carrying me. I have been around a lot of people in my life whom have had chicken pox and I have never got it.
But shingles..I had a bad case of those. Wrapped around half my body at my lower back and went down my right leg. Its been 11 years and I still have scars and numb on my right thigh from it. But I had a really bad case of shingles. The pain was horrific.

Sometimes, when you are 2 yeas old, you get chiken pox without the pox. It presents ot the pediatrician as a hectic fever and dcough. The shingles are in the lungs, and are very infectious, but you don't have nary a one on the outside.

So the negative history is not worth too much..... ;(

I never had chicken Pox but I had Shingles. My Mom is still alive today and will tell you I have never had chicken Pox.
BUT when she was pregnant with me my sister had chicken Pox, we believe I had them when she was carrying me. I have been around a lot of people in my life whom have had chicken pox and I have never got it.
But shingles..I had a bad case of those. Wrapped around half my body at my lower back and went down my right leg. Its been 11 years and I still have scars and numb on my right thigh from it. But I had a really bad case of shingles. The pain was horrific.

You had Chicken Pox, you don't get Shingles without it. Like the good doctor said, sometimes it doesn't look like chicken pox.

I recall mothers in my youth looking for kids with Chicken pox for kids over 3 so they could catch it while still kids. . . and I definitely recall having parents brings their kids over to play together with a kid with chicken pox - this way all the kids would get it at the same time and they could spell each other . . . . interesting lives of our parents.

Sometimes, when you are 2 yeas old, you get chiken pox without the pox. It presents ot the pediatrician as a hectic fever and dcough. The shingles are in the lungs, and are very infectious, but you don't have nary a one on the outside.

So the negative history is not worth too much..... ;(

Yes Bruce my Mom said I had a very bad lung infection that turned to pneumonia when I was around 3.

Interestingly I just had my annual physcial today and my family doc discussed the vaccine with me. He said that the younger you get the shot ( age 50) the more effective it is. He also said most insurance won't cover it until age 60 becuause some vaccination organization ( cant remember the name) recommened 60 because they felt there was not enough vaccine, which my doc says is not true.

Anyway he said as you age above 50 the effectiveness goes down from I think as high as approx 70% at age 50 to as low as 19% in the upper 70s.

He said the cost of the shot was about $250 if insurance won't pay. I responded that from what I heard folks suffering from a bad outbreak would gladly pay twice that. He also said the biggest concern was the potential threat to the eyes and post outbreak neuraligia which could be permanant.

Bruce, what is your opinion of the shingles vaccine? Should one have it if you are under 60?

I recall mothers in my youth looking for kids with Chicken pox for kids over 3 so they could catch it while still kids. . . and I definitely recall having parents brings their kids over to play together with a kid with chicken pox - this way all the kids would get it at the same time and they could spell each other . . . . interesting lives of our parents.

Hell, more recently than that. Kids my age were sent to play with the kid with chicken pox during the summer so they wouldn't miss school. I still managed to catch it during the school year, but Angie was sent off in July to get the pox and bring it home to her siblings.

And now my 12 year old cousin doesn't even know what chicken pox is

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back