Shingles...

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Two weeks ago, I awoke with some bug bites or spider bites on my face where my cheek normally rests on the pillow. The next morning there were more, and the third morning there were more still. By Friday, the blemishes on my face were feverish and very painful. Through the weekend and Monday, the accompanying headache, nausea, and weakness kept me in bed all day.

By this time, of course, I had abandoned my familiar bed and favorite pillow for one of the children's abandoned beds. Earlier in the week, I had thought of getting some advice on this board about whether to seek medical attention, but a proper lady does not relish admitting in public that she is sharing her bed with unwelcome visitors. I wish I had.

On Tuesday of last week, I went to work and faced my keyboard and monitor making desultory motions. Meanwhile, the feverishness of my face continued and the blemished area felt like I'd been punched by a prize fighter as well as stung by a hive of hornets. On Friday, when a bite opened up and ulcerated, it was the last straw. I made an appointment to see the doctor on Monday. What sort of critters were these?

It is shingles. When I recovered from chicken pox nearly sixty years ago, the virus didn't die. It hid inside the nerves of my face and erupted in a fairly mild outbreak of shingles. If I had contacted my doctor at once when the "bug bites" first appeared, it could have been treated, but I let it go long enough that the outbreak cannot be successfully treated.

In about six months I'll get a vaccine that will probably prevent future outbreaks. You should get it, too, if you ever had chicken pox or the chicken pox vaccine and you are over fifty.

Also, if you get a series of "bites" after the age of fifty, call the doctor before you feel like Mohammad Ali gave you a sucker punch, then stung like a bee.

My face is starting to clear up and the other symptoms have diminished although the tingling and itching continue. I have decided on a name for the scar that will remain from the blemish that prompted me to call the doctor -- Zora.

My lovely spouse had shingles, likely in enteric ganglia. Fooled me pretty good. Worse yet, I couldn't remember if I ever had chicken pox, and my mother was little help. You should stay well away from everyone until those clear up. If an adult is infected for the first time they can easily perish from the virus.

I had them about 10 years ago, when I was in my mid-20's. My doc told me that chicken pox viruses find refuge in the base of your spine, and stress and other unknown factors will trigger them to follow nerves to their endings and cause the painful eruptions.

It sucked and I'm glad it's over with.

Since it is on your face go to an optometrist and get your eyes checked.

I beleive shingles although they look like a skin problem are a nerve problem and can spread to the optic nerve.

That is what they had my wife do when she had them 8 or 10 yesrs ago.

My lovely spouse had shingles, likely in enteric ganglia. Fooled me pretty good. Worse yet, I couldn't remember if I ever had chicken pox, and my mother was little help. You should stay well away from everyone until those clear up. If an adult is infected for the first time they can easily perish from the virus.
Yeah, Leslie had them a few years ago, and I've never had chicken pox. We had to stay farther apart than I like! :(

An MD can prescribe antiviral drugs that are effective against herpes zoster, the causative agent of chicken pox.

Same is true for Hubby. He doesn't know and his mother doesn't either. The bad news is that I was contagious for chicken pox during the outbreak. Need to watch him carefully.

Since it is on your face go to an optometrist and get your eyes checked.

I beleive shingles although they look like a skin problem are a nerve problem and can spread to the optic nerve.

That is what they had my wife do when she had them 8 or 10 yesrs ago.
Thanks. Will do. Another potential side-effect when it is on the face is hearing damage.

I had chicken pox as a kid, my wife did not. Good thing for her, she's a naturally itchy person and I thinkg that would have killed her. I guess the thing to do is stay away from stressful situations (like we have any control over that). Note to self - need to fly more. Relieves stress. :D

I just asked this week about the Shingles vaccine, and my MD counselled that I should not get it until over the age of 65. There are risks, it is all a matter of making the right choice for you.

-Skip

What do you guys think of this
as a new for me site for human info?
I have been looking for a place for simple and reliable info on common conditions.

Same is true for Hubby. He doesn't know and his mother doesn't either. The bad news is that I was contagious for chicken pox during the outbreak. Need to watch him carefully.

As Grant attested to earlier, he was banished to the guest room for a week when I was diagnosed with shingles a while back. I got the master bedroom, complete with my own bathroom and comfy, loose-fitting flannel jammies :)

My case was pretty stealthy - my doctor at the time and I spent well over a year trying to figure out what the pains in my side and back were - abdominal ultrasounds, checking kidneys for issues, etc. Once the rash finally surfaced (at age 30), I was told that excessive stress was the kicker.

Of course, I was working in a hospital at the time :eek: - the infectious disease folks were notified, and I was promptly given an mandatory vacation until the rash was gone.

Hang in there - the affected nerves may feel a bit tingly for some time after the rash subsides, but it hopefully won't hurt anything like the active phase.

Best, Leslie

As Grant attested to earlier, he was banished to the guest room for a week when I was diagnosed with shingles a while back. I got the master bedroom, complete with my own bathroom and comfy, loose-fitting flannel jammies :)

My case was pretty stealthy - my doctor at the time and I spent well over a year trying to figure out what the pains in my side and back were - abdominal ultrasounds, checking kidneys for issues, etc. Once the rash finally surfaced (at age 30), I was told that excessive stress was the kicker.

Of course, I was working in a hospital at the time :eek: - the infectious disease folks were notified, and I was promptly given an mandatory vacation until the rash was gone.

Hang in there - the affected nerves may feel a bit tingly for some time after the rash subsides, but it hopefully won't hurt anything like the active phase.

Best, Leslie

What a way to get a vacation!!!! If they had made you take a vacation BEFORE you got it, you may never have gotten it.

Got my eyes checked and they are OK. Was told that shingles involving the eye is closely associated with having a shingles pimple or lesion on the tip of the nose.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back