Shimmy damper quick question

You can do anything you want . . . as long as it gets signed off by an A&P-IA - who cares.

FTFA..

FAR 43 Appendix A
Airframe major repairs.
(xxvii) Replacement of fabric on fabric covered parts such as wings, fuselages, stabilizers, and control surfaces.

Last edited:
I think he's saying that the shimmy dampener has to be removed to service landing gear shock struts by adding oil, air, or both.

I've yet to see the landing gear strut that needs the shimmy dampener removed in order to service the strut. They may be out there but I haven't seen one.

Even though you are allowed to service the landing gear strut by adding fluid and/or air, replacing the landing gear strut or overhauling it is not included as preventative maintenance. Calling the shimmy dampener a "landing gear strut" would allow you to service it but not install a new/different one.

I've yet to see the landing gear strut that needs the shimmy dampener removed in order to service the strut. They may be out there but I haven't seen one.

Even though you are allowed to service the landing gear strut by adding fluid and/or air, replacing the landing gear strut or overhauling it is not included as preventative maintenance. Calling the shimmy dampener a "landing gear strut" would allow you to service it but not install a new/different one.
Just FYI, the shimmy dampener on the Cessna 100 line must be removed to service it, but it only requires simple assembly procedures to do so, which is allowed under owner maintenance.

As an A&P I can see this as a gray area and would agree with Tom as a shimmy damper's purpose is to dampen shock on the nose wheel.

And all the wiring on my plane eventually connects to the landing light if you follow it far enough.

Back