Sheppard Air

GrahamC

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Graham
So let me preface this by saying, I have an unintentional tendency of making everything more difficult than it has to be.

A while back, I took my Commercial Pilot Ground lab. Our final grade for the course was assessed from our performance on a Gleim Commercial Pilot proctored Practice Exam. The grade was Pass/Fail, with exam scores of 80 or greater earning the student a 100 and all scores below 80% earning students a 0 as a final grade. Being the brilliant, studious sophomore that I was, I said to myself "How hard can it be, I know my stuff, I know how to use an E6-B, This will be a piece of cake."

A few days after I had that stroke of genius, I walked out of my proctored exam holding the results of my test- a 78%, and a zero in the grade book, and no endorsement for my commercial pilot written exam.

I could go on for a solid 10 minutes about how "unfair" that policy was (about the zero, not the endorsement,) and how it leaves no room for students' laziness :rolleyes2:, but I'll save those for another day. (My grade went from a high B to a C, as this final grade was worth 10% of your overall grade.)

Anyway, now that i've learned from that mistake, and I've shared that learning experience with all of you, I can move on tony next point, and question to all of you. I've been at end of course for my commercial single engine land license for about 3 months. Two of those months, we were having really horrendous weather pretty much every day that I was scheduled to fly, but the last month or so has been cooperating really well with my schedule. I've spent the last few days pouring over Sheppard Air's commercial pilot test software, memorizing every answer to every question (Except most of the questions requiring calculation) and I'm looking forward to taking my commercial written later this afternoon.

My experience with Sheppard Air has been pretty spectacular. The process works, not as a means to an end, but as an indicator of what your weak areas in flight knowledge are.
As I was going through the questions, if I ever came across an answer that I didn't know, I made a little note on a piece of paper and now I have a list of topics I know i need to brush up on before my commercial oral.

Have any of you used the Sheppard Air software? What are your thoughts on it?

Last edited:

I'm using it know prior to my instrument test in, gulp, 2 weeks. :hairraise: :eek::eek: I'll let you know my thoughts after I take the test.

I have used it for FOI,FIA,FII and throughly thought I was prepared. My last test was the FII. I studied the software the night before and passed the test with a 94%.

P.S. The other 6% was three ADF questions that blindsided me. :rolleyes2:

I will be using their software for the ATP written test.

P.S. Anyone needing to take their ATP written NEEDS to BEFORE THE END OF JULY!!

FACT!

This is all the buzz around the flight line here. Even if you're not going to get your ATP for a while.

Yeah, but only if you have a chance at doing your MEL ATP within the next 24 months..

So let me preface this by saying, I have an unintentional tendency of making everything more difficult than it has to be.

A while back, I took my Commercial Pilot Ground lab. Our final grade for the course was assessed from our performance on a Gleim Commercial Pilot proctored Practice Exam. The grade was Pass/Fail, with exam scores of 80 or greater earning the student a 100 and all scores below 80% earning students a 0 as a final grade. Being the brilliant, studious sophomore that I was, I said to myself "How hard can it be, I know my stuff, I know how to use an E6-B, This will be a piece of cake."

A few days after I had that stroke of genius, I walked out of my proctored exam holding the results of my test- a 78%, and a zero in the grade book, and no endorsement for my commercial pilot written exam.

I could go on for a solid 10 minutes about how "unfair" that policy was (about the zero, not the endorsement,) and how it leaves no room for students' laziness :rolleyes2:, but I'll save those for another day. (My grade went from a high B to a C, as this final grade was worth 10% of your overall grade.)

Anyway, now that i've learned from that mistake, and I've shared that learning experience with all of you, I can move on tony next point, and question to all of you. I've been at end of course for my commercial single engine land license for about 3 months. Two of those months, we were having really horrendous weather pretty much every day that I was scheduled to fly, but the last month or so has been cooperating really well with my schedule. I've spent the last few days pouring over Sheppard Air's commercial pilot test software, memorizing every answer to every question (Except most of the questions requiring calculation) and I'm looking forward to taking my commercial written later this afternoon.

My experience with Sheppard Air has been pretty spectacular. The process works, not as a means to an end, but as an indicator of what your weak areas in flight knowledge are.
As I was going through the questions, if I ever came across an answer that I didn't know, I made a little note on a piece of paper and now I have a list of topics I know i need to brush up on before my commercial oral.

I've used/am using it for CPL, FOI, and AGI.

CPL - 95%
FOI - 96%
AGI - have not taken it yet

I will be using them from now on. Be sure to study the way they advise you to and not they way that you think you should study.

I have used it for FOI,FIA,FII and throughly thought I was prepared. My last test was the FII. I studied the software the night before and passed the test with a 94%.

P.S. The other 6% was three ADF questions that blindsided me. :rolleyes2:

I will be using their software for the ATP written test.

Oh, I'm well aware.

Yeah but even if that possibility is low it sure beats paying 30k for it later.

No doubt!!!

Sheppard Air is the bomb for passing writtens, just do what they tell you to and study it.

Well, I walked out of that testing center with a 95. I'm happy as a clam.

Back