Sheesh. Glad I didn't fly!

Brian Austin

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Austin
Thought about flying to North Las Vegas for my business trip today. Probably better I didn't :D :

KVGT 282338Z 32031G42KT 5SM HZ SCT070 BKN100 14/04 A2961 RMK AO2 PK WND 32042/2338 WSHFT 2324

What's even worse is that the AF guys are landing at Nellis right now. The downwind-base turn is right over our office. They make it look so easy!

Awww, c'mon Brian! Where's your sense of adventure? That wind would be doable with VGT's runways. Of course, taxiing might have been a bit exciting.

Yea, where did this come from?? I cant even see the mountains near Havasu from all the sand being blown around. My friend called from Laughlin and said it is real windy there too, and visibillity is way bad right now. It had better clear for my flight to Long Beach tomorrow!

Ken Ibold said:
Awww, c'mon Brian! Where's your sense of adventure? That wind would be doable with VGT's runways. Of course, taxiing might have been a bit exciting.
Doable with the winds? Sure (for the most part). Dust in the air, however, looks more like 1 mile vis, if that. Blah. Glad I'm inside! (although my truck is getting sandblasted right now!) :mad:

Brian Austin said:
Doable with the winds? Sure (for the most part). Dust in the air, however, looks more like 1 mile vis, if that. Blah. Glad I'm inside! (although my truck is getting sandblasted right now!) :mad:
It has been this way for the last few days. I had an Angel Flight on Thursday from SLC to VGT and although there were no Airmets for turbulence, we really got bounced around between Milford VOR and Mormon Mesa VOR. My GS was 160kts in a Cherokee 180!

I dont know about you Brian, But I sure have been getting a workout with the winds lately. Used to be when i heard 15kt Xwind i would cringe. Seems lately though 15kt xwind is the least of it. Been out lately and had to deal with 26 G32. I think at least 6 out of the last 7 outings for me have been white nuckle landings, with the sweaty forhead and all.
Good news is, Im getting pretty good at em. :))

Michael said:
I dont know about you Brian, But I sure have been getting a workout with the winds lately. Used to be when i heard 15kt Xwind i would cringe. Seems lately though 15kt xwind is the least of it. Been out lately and had to deal with 26 G32. I think at least 6 out of the last 7 outings for me have been white nuckle landings, with the sweaty forhead and all.
Good news is, Im getting pretty good at em. :))
I just drove from PHX to Escondido via I-10/60/215/15. Yuck. Anyone heading through Banning Pass today, go REALLY high or just avoid it altogether. Probably 35G50+ at least. My F250 Diesel (8800 curb weight + load) was being BLOWN into other lanes. I had to crab my flippin' truck!

Yeah, I've been playing with crosswinds a lot lately. I'm getting tubes in my ears on Thursday but if it's not too uncomfortable, I'm kinda hoping the winds are a handful on Saturday. I was going to grab a CFI and go looking for some trouble. :D

Brian Austin said:
I just drove from PHX to Escondido via I-10/60/215/15. Yuck. Anyone heading through Banning Pass today, go REALLY high or just avoid it altogether. Probably 35G50+ at least.

Passes tend to create big winds with the velocity highest down low (bernoulli at work).

My F250 Diesel (8800 curb weight + load) was being BLOWN into other lanes. I had to crab my flippin' truck!

Probably needs a bigger rudder.:cheerio:

Brian Austin said:
I just drove from PHX to Escondido via I-10/60/215/15. Yuck. Anyone heading through Banning Pass today, go REALLY high or just avoid it altogether. Probably 35G50+ at least. My F250 Diesel (8800 curb weight + load) was being BLOWN into other lanes. I had to crab my flippin' truck!

Yeah, I've been playing with crosswinds a lot lately. I'm getting tubes in my ears on Thursday but if it's not too uncomfortable, I'm kinda hoping the winds are a handful on Saturday. I was going to grab a CFI and go looking for some trouble. :D

I was in Lancaster on Sunday, very windy and several lenticular clouds.

I have flown through the Banning Pass at 11,500 with a 40knot breeze.
It was a little bumpy but really not too bad.

My 1990 F-250 (460ci gas) only weighs a little over 6000lbs you need to put
yours on a diet. :)

greg

river_rat said:
My 1990 F-250 (460ci gas) only weighs a little over 6000lbs you need to put yours on a diet. :)
The diesel engine is significantly heavier. The frame was redesigned in the 1999 models, too, and is a little heavier.

I don't want her on a diet. She's more forbidding and 'pushy' like this. :D

Back