Sheer boredom

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
So, after taking 3 calls in the last 4 hours, I decided that I would go for a walk around the call center to find SOMETHING to do. Anything would suffice. I ran across this thing hanging up in the sales department. I guess there's no problem in their eyes of two airplanes taking off in opposite directions from the same runway.

Its fun to see the non-pilot idea of how they think things work sometimes.

Ahh - and of course, after a while of playing with paintbrush (don't have photoshop at work), I decided to have some fun with the picture.

That's a pretty cool board, know where I can get one?

02:40 and I'm bored as well. Had a pursuit over two hours ago, rookie deputy follows poss DUI onto a forest service rd, then a few minutes later calls for a tow truck. me: "will this be for the pickup, or for your car?" deputy: "Ummmmm....this will be for my patrol car." Still haven't located the truck. grrrrr........

Even worse than simply 2 planes on opposite directions on the runway.

The planes are each on the right side of the centerline. Indicating that the "artist" had even less concept of the airport environment and usage.

If the picture were true, How could we use the runway ar T31? Only 50' wide, leaving a 25' "lane for planes with 35' wingspans. Dave's 310 would never get in or out. :hairraise:

The Old Man said:
Even worse than simply 2 planes on opposite directions on the runway.

The planes are each on the right side of the centerline. Indicating that the "artist" had even less concept of the airport environment and usage.

If the picture were true, How could we use the runway ar T31? Only 50' wide, leaving a 25' "lane for planes with 35' wingspans. Dave's 310 would never get in or out. :hairraise:

LOL!!! I didn't even notice that. That's awesome. When they dispose of the board, I think I'm gonna ask if I can have it.

The Old Man said:
Are the airplanes movable?

But you know, this person has hit on a way to keep airplanes from falling out of the sky. Just lop off the wings and drive them around on the roads. Imagine what a spinning prop of death out front would do to the willingness of pedestrians to jump into the crosswalk in front of you!!!

Ken Ibold said:
Imagine what a spinning prop of death out front would do to the willingness of pedestrians to jump into the crosswalk in front of you!!!

A (strange) friend of mine thinks airbags were the wrong thing on improving driver safety. He wants to mount a very long sharp spike in the center of each steering wheel, pointed right at your chest. He thinks this would do far more to improve safe driving.

Ken Ibold said:
Imagine what a spinning prop of death out front would do to the willingness of pedestrians to jump into the crosswalk in front of you!!!

This, from our recognized, published and well-respected expert on aviation safety.

!

Ken Ibold said:
Are the airplanes movable?

But you know, this person has hit on a way to keep airplanes from falling out of the sky. Just lop off the wings and drive them around on the roads. Imagine what a spinning prop of death out front would do to the willingness of pedestrians to jump into the crosswalk in front of you!!!

I don't know if they're moveable, I'll have to check when I get back to work tonight. They didn't look moveable, but I suppose they could be. It would make a lot more sense than the artist just being lazy and not researching at all.

I like the idea of the pedestrian death traps tho. There have been many times driving that I imagined I was in a plane. That takes it to the next step!

Last edited:
SCCutler said:
This, from our recognized, published and well-respected expert on aviation safety.

!
Hey, if they're on the road then it's highway safety and none of my concern!

Nick, the ground bound public at large generally have no clue. I've heard many state how the airplanes always take off in one direction, and land in the opposite. They just assume the runway environment is one way for each, and it seems to make sense to them.....

NickDBrennan said:
I don't know if they're moveable, I'll have to check when I get back to work tonight. They didn't look moveable, but I suppose they could be. It would make a lot more sense than the artist just being lazy and not researching at all.

You could always put them in the sky going down in flames. Got a red marker?

:eek:

T Bone said:
Nick, the ground bound public at large generally have no clue. I've heard many state how the airplanes always take off in one direction, and land in the opposite. They just assume the runway environment is one way for each, and it seems to make sense to them.....
Once upon a time I was a reporter for the Palm Beach Post, and aviation was one of my beats. One day I got a call from a totally irate resident of Palm Beach, complaining about the jet noise. (PBI has two east/west runways. The airport itself is located in West Palm Beach, which is on the other side of the Intracoastal from the beachfront mansions.)

This guy went on and on about how air traffic control always made the airplanes take off over Palm Beach because the controllers were jealous that they weren't wealthy enough to live there. When he stopped to take a breath, I said, "Sir, the reason they take off to the east is that they go into the wind and the prevailing wind is off the ocean." Dead silence. Then: "Oh. I didn't know that. Bye."

Bill Jennings said:
A (strange) friend of mine thinks airbags were the wrong thing on improving driver safety. He wants to mount a very long sharp spike in the center of each steering wheel, pointed right at your chest. He thinks this would do far more to improve safe driving.

I've been recommending for piano wire seatbelts for years. The driving skills will improve...one way or another.

OTOH, I want a real 5 point harness and to wear a helmet in the car. (I asked a police officer about that once and he said it was illegal to wear a helmet in a car on the streets - that definitely ranks in the stupidest thing I ever heard category)

Last edited:
Back