Sheboygan, WI Sunday Dec. 7 2008

skyflyer8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
It's late notice but I thought I'd throw this out there:

A few pilot friends of mine and I plan to fly to Sheboygan, WI (SBM) for lunch this Sunday December 7th. The weather forecast looks very cold, but other than that, OK for now. We all have terrible cabin fever after a week of mostly bad flying weather.

We are planning to be at Burrows Aviation on the south end of the field at 1:00 if anyone would care to join. I'll be calling ahead to let them know how many of us are coming.

http://www.burrowsaviation.com/steakhouse.html

Scott pretty much makes that a standard Sunday breakfast. :D

OK, so you went for dinner last week?

I have too many blown deadlines to take Sunday off.

Mike - I'm overdue for a Chicago-style hot dog, so I'll let you know when I can make it your way sometime!

There's only one - Superdawg, at the corner of Milwaukee, Devon & Nagle on the North side. I've been going there since the 60's. Yummmmm.

http://www.superdawg.com/
Chicago hot dogs are just plain weird. Yeah, the all-beef weiner is a Good Thing, but a pickle wedge? A pepper? Celery salt? A TOMATO SLICE??!

Gimme a good old Texas chili dog any day, preferably from James Coney Island in Houston.

OK, so you went for dinner last week?

I have too many blown deadlines to take Sunday off.
Ummm, lets see, In the past couple of months I did a brunch with you and Pete, a dinner and a breakfast. Last week was breakfast as I did not think it a good idea to go to Iowa and I needed to get some time to get the new cylinders broken in.

It is a good place!

Mike - I'm overdue for a Chicago-style hot dog, so I'll let you know when I can make it your way sometime!
Something is going on with the buns the past few months. Far too often the dogs are being served on non-poppy seed buns. I know that is an abomination but it is happening. Even my regular hot dog place has been without, one day they even tried to pawn off a sesame seed bun!!! YIKES!! I made them take the dog back, that is just not right!

I had to actually resort to my emergency, only in a storm, hot dog back up joint. Portillo's

Chicago hot dogs are just plain weird. Yeah, the all-beef weiner is a Good Thing, but a pickle wedge? A pepper? Celery salt? A TOMATO SLICE??!

Gimme a good old Texas chili dog any day, preferably from James Coney Island in Houston.
Texas Chile dogs are good if they are using at a min. Wolf's brand chille, but not Hormel, better if they home made. But getting anything that is not a chain restaurant or mass produced in the 'metroplexes' of Texas is getting real hard. Texas food has become very homogenized and mass produced.

One mor ething about Texas fast food. It is not a Gie-Roh it is yeer-roh :nono:

That was how I made them at Uncle Franks. No pickle there but we had sport peppers and relish so bright green it glowed in the dark.

Not to mention the outliers that cover it with such as green peppers and lettuce...and kraut! :yikes:

Something is going on with the buns the past few months. Far too often the dogs are being served on non-poppy seed buns. I know that is an abomination but it is happening. Even my regular hot dog place has been without, one day they even tried to pawn off a sesame seed bun!!! YIKES!! I made them take the dog back, that is just not right!

I had to actually resort to my emergency, only in a storm, hot dog back up joint. Portillo's

They won't tell you but it can be as simple as the stand getting cut off for being behind in paying its bills. Did you know that Vienna has exclusive truck routes? The stands can't buy from anywhere else!

I think the Mary Ann bakery was sold many years ago, but AFAIK, they're still around....ah Alpha Baking, they screwed up Natural Ovens a bit, too..

Looking forward to seeing you there, Scott. Weather tomorrow still looks good, just cold.

Can't wait for some sunshine. I don't know if I remember how to fly an airplane. Looks like I will forget again this upcoming week.

Texas Chile
ACK!!! It's chili. Chile is the country.

dogs are good if they are using at a min. Wolf's brand chille, but not Hormel, better if they home made.
Erf. Chili from a can? Blasphemy. I eat Hormel chili around here because I can't get the good stuff. One reason I like James Coney Island is because they make their own chili.

But getting anything that is not a chain restaurant or mass produced in the 'metroplexes' of Texas is getting real hard. Texas food has become very homogenized and mass produced.
You're not going in the right places. You gotta pick the sleaziest two-bit dives you can find. It's a universal constant for barbecue, and it works for other food in Texas, too.

James Coney Island is an exception, but they're at least a local chain (IIRC, they don't have any restaurants outside Houston, darn the luck).

One more thing about Texas fast food. It is not a Gie-Roh it is yeer-roh :nono:
Ah, whaddyou know...(*^&%^&* Yankee...mutter grumble...:incazzato:

(For the uninitiated, a Yankee is anyone from north of KCXO.)

Gyros are Texas food? That would be a susprise to the Greeks who invented the spits in Chicago..

In Texas when I lived there, there were a bunch of Gyro outlets called Super Gyros, and they always called them Super Gie-rohs! Drove me crazy.

Of course they're not.
I don't think they are anyone's food except may a Chicago original. They certainly do not exist in Greece the way we have them here.

ACK!!! It's chili. Chile is the country.

Erf. Chili from a can? Blasphemy. I eat Hormel chili around here because I can't get the good stuff. One reason I like James Coney Island is because they make their own chili.
I made a pot form scratch today after talking chile here. Personally I am a big fan of green chile stew but regualr tex-mex stuif is good too.

You're not going in the right places. You gotta pick the sleaziest two-bit dives you can find. It's a universal constant for barbecue, and it works for other food in Texas, too.
Texas BBQ is my 2nd favorite. We actually have a good Texas BBq place not too far from my house. Come into 3CK sometime and we can go.

In Texas when I lived there, there were a bunch of Gyro outlets called Super Gyros, and they always called them Super Gie-rohs! Drove me crazy.

I don't think they are anyone's food except may a Chicago original. They certainly do not exist in Greece the way we have them here.

I heard the Greeks in Detroit either invented the modern ones or at least brought them out almost simultaneously. We can expect that the guys in Chicago had cousins in Detroit, just like every Greek has a cousin who owns a restaurant in Chicago. :D

hmm what the heck...the WX is good out, and Kent is broke, so 271G is available.

See y'all at SBM

hmm what the heck...the WX is good out, and Kent is broke, so 271G is available.

See y'all at SBM

LOL - does that mean you're bringing him? :p

You alone will bring the number up to 13 people. That is awesome!

Hey, I just saw the thermometer go positive - it's now 1 degree F! :D

A good turnout today of eight planes and one helicopter. Most of us were from Brennand Airport (79C). Pete made it in from Madison although it'll be a while before the snow lets him come back. A former student of mine came from Oshkosh with his Citabria.

There were 16 people. The people in the restaurant wanted to split us into two groups, but instead we just dragged their heavy tables and chairs together to form one king-sized long table.

My camera broke and I forgot my phone, so no pictures unless someone e-mails one to me!

It was great to get out and fly with so many other people. It was very cold today, but even after a couple hours the 172's engine stayed warm under a blanket. Not long after we all got back to Brennand it started snowing. The ceiling rapidly dropped from the 4000 range to the 2000 range, and visibility went from unlimited to the 1-2 mile range in a snap. That was an eye opener for us! All the aircraft were tucked in their hangars by the time this hit.

Pete--- let us know when you make it! Looks like there is a break behind the band of snow.

I got home ok. I ended up stopping in Juneau to wait for the snow to pass. I hit a big wall of snow just past UNU, and decided it would be better to watch some football and wait it out.

The flight home from unu to MSN was absolutely gorgeous.

Here are some photos I took on the trip up. I tried to take a couple shots at night, but none of them came out...

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

Traffic leaving SBM

IMG_0909.JPG

Last edited:
Back