Sheboygan again

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
I went flying with Sean O'Donnell and his friend Todd in the 182 tonight.

We took off around 6 and did a city tour, flying over the lakes, the capitol, the Monona Terrace, Camp Randall Stadium, the Coliseum, etc... Then I used a trick I learned during our tower tour last week (Hmm, still need to post about that!) to avoid getting vectored all the way around the city, and we headed up to KSBM, where I flew straight into runway 3 and greased the landing. :)

I know it's been mentioned here by several people (including myself) in the past, but the Final Approach restaurant at Sheboygan (inside Burrows Aviation, the big gray building near the approach end of runway 3) is one of THE best airport restaurants there is.

All three of us had almost the exact same thing. We started out with Beer Cheese Soup, that is just to die for. MmmmMMMmmMMMmmmmMMMYummy! :yes: That was followed by salad with a creamy wasabi dressing that had quite a kick. Finally, the dinner plates arrived - Three Cheese Mashed Potatoes and some excellent steaks, medium-rare. Sean and I had Ribeyes, Todd had a NY Strip. Sean and Todd also had a couple of beers, and between the three of us the bill came to $70. For the quality of the dining experience, that price is phenomenal!

So, if you're anywhere in the Midwest and you haven't made it to the Final Approach at KSBM yet, you're really missing out. Go check it out!

After stuffing ourselves silly, I did not do another weight and balance, and we survived the flight home. ;) We took off into the dark night and pointed towards Madison, where I did a practice ILS 36 and did another greaser. :D Sean and I did everything we could to prod Todd into learning to fly, but he still claims to "not have enough time." Next step: We might bring him to the FlyBQ. :D

Great food, great flight, great night. :goofy:

Great write up and now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I am HUNGRY,,,, thanks alot. :D

Looks like I will have to settle for some microwave popcorn to get thirsty from all that salt and then a big bowl of Breyers Mint Chocolate chip, but I will fall asleep with the vision of a juicy rib eye....:mad3::rofl:

We took off around 6 and did a city tour, flying over the lakes, the capitol, the Monona Terrace, Camp Randall Stadium, the Coliseum, etc... Then I used a trick I learned during our tower tour last week (Hmm, still need to post about that!) to avoid getting vectored all the way around the city, and we headed up to KSBM, where I flew straight into runway 3 and greased the landing.

To avoid getting vectored all the way around Madison one has to fly to SBM? That's a trick?

Kent,

Great write up!

I'm not sure what I miss more, the flying or the dining. Looking forward to catching up a the Fly B Q!

Beer Cheese Soup? So what did you do for the next 8 hours in Sheboygan?

Kent, your best posts and stories are always made at 3am... do you ever sleep, buddy?!

After watching "Food Detectives" I can tell you the answer is not all, at least with such things as rum cake.

Caveat Aviator. :nono:
Which is why, when Leslie and Sharon made their liquor cakes at Gaston's, they put a note warning people not to have them if they were planning to go flying again that day!:drink:

Bingo.

I gotta find me a recipe for that stuff. It was phenomenal. And it just doesn't get more Wisconsin than Beer Cheese Soup!

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

• 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
  • 1 1/2 cups diced onion
  • 1 1/2 cups diced celery
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups beer
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 4 cups milk or half and half
  • 6 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • popped popcorn, for garnish

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Stir in hot pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Pour in chicken broth and beer; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
  2. Meanwhile, heat butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Stir in flour with a wire whisk; cook, stirring until the flour is light brown, about 3 or 4 minutes. Gradually stir in milk, whisking to prevent scorching, until thickened. Remove from heat, and gradually stir in cheese. Keep warm.
  3. Stir beer mixture into cheese mixture. Stir in Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and dry mustard. Adjust for hot pepper sauce. Bring to a simmer, and cook 10 minutes. Serve topped with popcorn.

To avoid getting vectored all the way around Madison one has to fly to SBM? That's a trick?

No, I wanted to go to SBM the whole time. But I was over Lake Monona, south of Downtown, when I informed them that I was ready to go to KSBM, and the controller told me to fly to downtown, turn back south, and he'd bring me around behind the helicopter south of the field... Yuck! I wanna go Northeast, not South!

I need to post about the tour... More there.

(a) No person may act or attempt to act as a crewmember of a civil aircraft—
(1) Within 8 hours after the consumption of any alcoholic beverage;
(2) While under the influence of alcohol;
(3) While using any drug that affects the person's faculties in any way contrary to safety; or

i suppose it would depend on if you defined beer cheese soup as an "alcoholic beverage"

i suppose it would depend on if you defined beer cheese soup as an "alcoholic beverage"

Good point, but there are a few foods that have alcohol in them - chocolates with rum, and I don't think they would be considered a beverage, but I'm quite certain the feds wouldn't buy that as an excuse should they decide to breathalyze ya even if you blew a .01.

And of course, how under the influence do you need to be for the feds to consider you not to be.

:confused:

Good point, but there are a few foods that have alcohol in them - chocolates with rum, and I don't think they would be considered a beverage, but I'm quite certain the feds wouldn't buy that as an excuse should they decide to breathalyze ya even if you blew a .01.

And of course, how under the influence do you need to be for the feds to consider you not to be.

:confused:

0.08 ?

0.04 As defined by FAR 91.17

Sec. 91.17

Alcohol or drugs.

(a) No person may act or attempt to act as a crewmember of a civil aircraft--
(1) Within 8 hours after the consumption of any alcoholic beverage;
(2) While under the influence of alcohol;
(3) While using any drug that affects the person's faculties in any way contrary to safety; or
[(4) While having an alcohol concentration of 0.04 or greater in a blood or breath specimen. Alcohol concentration means grams of alcohol per deciliter of blood or grams of alcohol per 210 liters of breath.]

But
(1) (2) (3) (4) isn't a 1 AND 2 AND 3 AND 4....

it's a 1 OR 2 OR 3 OR 4.

If someone really wanted to make a case they could say you were under the influence even if you were at 0.03. In which case you would be in violation of 91.17(a)(2) but not (a)(4).

No, I wanted to go to SBM the whole time. But I was over Lake Monona, south of Downtown, when I informed them that I was ready to go to KSBM, and the controller told me to fly to downtown, turn back south, and he'd bring me around behind the helicopter south of the field... Yuck! I wanna go Northeast, not South!

What was your altitude? Were you in Class C airspace at the time? Was the helicopter IFR?

Hmmmm, which is it?
The first two are talking about beer cheese soup, where it cooks off. The latter is talking about rum cakes or, as was later added, liquor chocolates, where it doesn't. In fact, when Leslie made the rum cake she used a lot of rum, warmed it just enough to mix in a few other ingredients to make a glaze, then soaked the cake in it. Is definitely did NOT all evaporate! :no::rofl::drink:

Last edited:
I've learned from making rum cake that it tastes better if you give it a day or so. Some of the alcohol evaporates and makes the cake not so intense.

The first two are talking about beer cheese soup, where it cooks off. The latter is talking about rum cakes or, as was later added, liquor chocolates, where it doesn't. In fact, when Leslie made the rum cake she used a lot of rum, warmed it just enough to mix in a few other ingredients to make a glaze, then soaked the cake in it. Is definitely did NOT all evaporate! :no::rofl::drink:

What Grant said. In fact, I decided to try and make my own beer cheese soup tonight. The process starts with melting butter and putting onions and garlic in. The next step is to add the beer, bring it to a boil, and boil for 3 minutes to evaporate the alcohol. (Said so right in the recipe.) Then you turn it down, put other liquids in, and go from there.

I would eat beer cheese soup with an FAA inspector and go flying right afterwards. :yes:

What Grant said. In fact, I decided to try and make my own beer cheese soup tonight. The process starts with melting butter and putting onions and garlic in. The next step is to add the beer, bring it to a boil, and boil for 3 minutes to evaporate the alcohol. (Said so right in the recipe.) Then you turn it down, put other liquids in, and go from there.

I would eat beer cheese soup with an FAA inspector and go flying right afterwards. :yes:
Beer cheese soup may be good, but Leslie's and Sharon's liquor ckes are BETTER! :yes::drink::smile::D

I've learned from making rum cake that it tastes better if you give it a day or so. Some of the alcohol evaporates and makes the cake not so intense.

then what's the point?

2000, yes, no.

2000 MSL over Lake Monona and south of downtown while in Class C airspace would put you just inside it. You could have wandered a bit further south, terminated services, and be on your way to SBM staying outside of Class C airspace.

Bringing you around a VFR helicopter doesn't make any sense. VFR/VFR separation is not a Class C service, a traffic advisory would be all that's required.

2000 MSL over Lake Monona and south of downtown while in Class C airspace would put you just inside it. You could have wandered a bit further south, terminated services, and be on your way to SBM staying outside of Class C airspace.

I'm surprised to hear a controller say that! But even if I did have to go around the chopper to the south, it would have been shorter than exiting the airspace.

Bringing you around a VFR helicopter doesn't make any sense. VFR/VFR separation is not a Class C service, a traffic advisory would be all that's required.

They were bringing other traffic into 36 as well, so there may have been other things going on that I wasn't aware of. All I know is that his plan was to stick me south of the chopper, I didn't have the entire picture.

was it a lifeguard helicopter he was trying to get you around? (vfr or ifr wouldn't matter)?

Not to stray off topic here... but I got my visit in with Sean tonight - flew the 172B from Clintonville to Oshkosh to pick up my friend Jim who owns the plane and knows Sean, and Wayne the person who hosted Sean, Rob, and me at his house & hangar during our Able Flight training project in 2007. I had to delay leaving home for about an hour while some crazy wind gusts and showers moved through. Everything rapidly died down and the three of us had a great flight to Madison. Had a fun dinner with Sean at the Outback steakhouse, lots of hangar flying. Then we flew back to Oshkosh at night and I flew back to Clintonville solo, landed less than an hour ago. Great night! And Sean tells me Tuesdays are some kind of dollars-off steak night in Sheboygan, so I need to go there soon. But no beer cheese soup for me, that just seems scary.

was it a lifeguard helicopter he was trying to get you around? (vfr or ifr wouldn't matter)?

Nope, it was one of the military birds.

You fly in Madison? I imagine we aren't the only place with choppers named "Med Flight" but I figured I'd ask. ;)

Last edited:
Sean tells me Tuesdays are some kind of dollars-off steak night in Sheboygan, so I need to go there soon. But no beer cheese soup for me, that just seems scary.

Yup - Two bucks off steaks on Tuesdays. And beer cheese soup is AWESOME. You must try it at least! :yes:

I'm surprised to hear a controller say that!

Why?

But even if I did have to go around the chopper to the south, it would have been shorter than exiting the airspace.

I don't see it. If you're south of downtown Madison you're pretty much outside the 5 mile Class C ring already, it falls .65 miles due south of the Capitol.

Attachments

• Madison.jpg
    Madison.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 10

Well, one of the things they said on the tower tour was that they'd much rather be talking to us if we're in the area, even if we're not inside their airspace. I know if I was a controller I'd want that too.

I don't see it. If you're south of downtown Madison you're pretty much outside the 5 mile Class C ring already, it falls .65 miles due south of the Capitol.

I would have been pretty much on the ring, but I would have had to circle around it since Sheboygan is almost directly opposite. Yeah, it's only a couple miles, but I got direct instead, which is better. :yes:

Back