Sheble Aviation vs. Local FBO for Comm/Multi

I went there in the 80's when they where in Blythe CA. They did what was required and I was fine with them. I don't like to see any aviation business go under or be so bad that they get shut down. There is alot of room for different types of training.

I went there in the 80's when they where in Blythe CA. They did what was required and I was fine with them. I don't like to see any aviation business go under or be so bad that they get shut down. There is alot of room for different types of training.

I dont think it was the training that did them in, it sounds like they had some management issues.

I am a 700 hr. private pilot w/ instrument rating. I would like to add multi-engine and commercial (both single and multi).

I want to do this in one concentrated week that will be devoted to training and checkrides, not stretched out over a long period. One option I've been seriously considering is attending Sheble Aviation in Ft. Mohave, AZ. They offer a course they say takes six days for $4,395. (I'll allocate 9 days, just in case). The multi-engine plane is a Beech Travelair.

I've heard mixed reviews on Sheble's. Some people say that because of the flat fee, you'll only get minimal multi-engine time in training. I've also heard that they are "disorganized" and "you'll spend a lot of time waiting", but you will get your rating in the end. On the other hand, they seem to specialize in this "accelerated" training, which is what I want.

The other alternative is to try and arrange something like this at a local FBO. Here in the Phoenix area, I've looked at "Classic Aviation" at FFZ with a Seneca II, and Sawyer Aviation (SDL) with a DA42. Classic Aviation is at my home field (I own 1/3 of a Piper Comanche based there) which makes it convenient. If I do this near home, one advantage would be that I could rent their multi-engine plane for trips when I am done. That's attractive. On the flip side, since these schools are not focused on "accelerated" training, there would seem to be less of a guarantee I would finish. I also suspect they would cost more since it would not be a "flat fee" arrangement.

Looking at the "ATP" website, they seem to charge $14k for the same thing!

Any thoughts about the preferred way to go, or any of the vendors mentioned?

Thanks,
Dan

I did my CP SEL and SES in the same ride with them, did my CP MEL with ME-IR add on, that was back in the early 90s, then a couple of years ago I did my MES in the BE-18. I came prepared, everything ran on schedule, there were some glitches, they got handled (fixed the prop control on the Lake while floating on Lake Mojave, that got me a 'twofer' price on the SEL & SES CP rides.

I was satisfied with them and always had fun flying with JoJo, fussy, uptight, regimented people tend to report other experiences. This is not a fancy FBO operation, there may be some student living in the lobby. This is an old time multi generation mom and pop operation. Is it highly structured and high stress? No, it's not, if that's what you are looking for go to ATP or American Fliers (American Fliers uses 310s) to do the rating.

http://www.shebleaviation.com/

Does anyone know if they are still in business? I have tried calling several times and email without replies. I guess the answer is obvious but just thought id ask here in case anyone has local info.

Thanks,
Jay

http://www.shebleaviation.com/

Does anyone know if they are still in business? I have tried calling several times and email without replies. I guess the answer is obvious but just thought id ask here in case anyone has local info.

Thanks,
Jay

I have been wondering the same thing. Jojo Sheble is on Facebook, I've been meaning to ask him the status of the Beech 18.

I flew cargo into needles a few weeks ago. Its real quiet around there if that means anything to you.

when has Needles been anything but quiet?

There was a brief time after the Sheble operation moved to needles that planes were moving and training was underway. Now there seems to be a lot more Sheble planes parked than there are airborne

There was a brief time after the Sheble operation moved to needles that planes were moving and training was underway. Now there seems to be a lot more Sheble planes parked than there are airborne

That is prolly a good thing considering what I know 'bout Sheble aircraft.

anyway, when I stopped by Needles a few years ago it was really, really quiet...

I hadn't known them to be at Needles in a long time. They were operating out of Sun City or something like that (across from the Avi) when I did my MES a few years back with him. He was talking about heading back to Bullhead.

I hadn't known them to be at Needles in a long time. They were operating out of Sun City or something like that (across from the Avi) when I did my MES a few years back with him. He was talking about heading back to Bullhead.

Sun Valley, A20.

Sun City is in South Africa best I can recall.

Why not just try to work with one of "Classic Aviations" instructors to do an accelerated course with him in your comanche and their Seneca. Just schedule it in advance and have him block out his schedule for a week.

They left A20 because they had problems with the owners (it's an airpark as you know) . They moved shop to Needles except for a plane (Bullhead) and a office (mojave). They needed a plane based on the AZ side of the river so they could still answer to the LAS FSDO. They have been at Needles for 1.5 years or so. They also had a plane or 2 up at VGT because the examiners they were using are based there. Probably to much $$ spent on dead heading to VGT for the checkrides, 100LL and tach time cut into profits of a 1 price kind of flight training outfit.

Last edited:
They left A20 because they had problems with the owners (it's an airpark) . They moved shop to Needles except for a plane and a office. They needed a plane based on the AZ side of the river so they could still answer to the LAS FSDO. They have been at Needles for 1.5 years or so. They also had a plane or 2 up at VGT because the examiners they were using are based there. Probably to much $$ spent on dead heading to VGT for the checkrides, 100LL and tach time cut into profits of a 1 price kind of flight training outfit.

Joe and JoJo were both DPEs when I was around, they did all the rides I recall. The old man was looking at retiring totally though.

Joe and JoJo were both DPEs when I was around, they did all the rides I recall. The old man was looking at retiring totally though.

Jojo lost DPE over 2 years ago and SR was still designated but not exercising around 1.5 years ago. Sr. Has since been de-DPE'd as well circumstances are unknown as to why. Maybe he just didn't like that the FSDO came through and hurt his operation.

Jojo lost DPE over 2 years ago and SR was still designated but not exercising around 1.5 years ago. Sr. Has since been de-DPE'd as well circumstances are unknown as to why. Maybe he just didn't like that the FSDO came through and hurt his operation.

Shame that happened. I know Jojo was telling me they really wanted him to go 141 and giving him some hassles over it when we were flying around. Sad that it all came to this. I wonder how much of it was personality clash. Jojo and I always got along well and I had fun flying with him, not everybody reported the same experience though, and I can see where bureaucrats would take issue with him.

Shame that happened. I know Jojo was telling me they really wanted him to go 141 and giving him some hassles over it when we were flying around. Sad that it all came to this. I wonder how much of it was personality clash. Jojo and I always got along well and I had fun flying with him, not everybody reported the same experience though, and I can see where bureaucrats would take issue with him.

I heard it was him giving checkrides and not using enough situational types of problems vs. him just asking black and white rules and regs questions. Now maybe the FSDO was already mad and just used something like this as a reason to take his designation I dont know. I had a relatively pleasant experience out there once. And I also had a not so pleasant one.

I heard it was him giving checkrides and not using enough situational types of problems vs. him just asking black and white rules and regs questions. Now maybe the FSDO was already mad and just used something like this as a reason to take his designation I dont know. I had a relatively pleasant experience out there once. And I also had a not so pleasant one.

Hmm, my check rides were pretty situational, "What would you do if..." Type stuff.:dunno: I can believe there would be an inconsistency though based of relationship.:lol:

Sheble moved his operation to VGT last summer, they had lost their DPE status. They needed the local DPEs at VGT.

His aircraft are still at VGT, I don't see them moving much.

Sheble moved his operation to VGT last summer, they had lost their DPE status. They needed the local DPEs at VGT.

His aircraft are still at VGT, I don't see them moving much.

Without DPE status, I can't see the operation being profitable. It's not like they were operating on a huge margin.

I have been wondering the same thing. Jojo Sheble is on Facebook, I've been meaning to ask him the status of the Beech 18.

If it's the same Beech 18 as their website pic...It(N21PN) sits at Park Moabi, California.

Status in question on FAA Registry.

Red and polished on floats? Hmmm...

https://flic.kr/p/jXAhvD

Is this her? To be honest used to see her fly a lot years ago....haven't seen her fly in quite awhile now.

Sadly I have seen her wings used as a diving board this past summer.

Also has Pirates Cove logo on tail....wondering if they bought it and only use it for promotion now...never to fly again:(

Last edited:
Back