She’s flat

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
And no, not what @mscard88 is thinking.

Just chuckling that my nose strut went flat while doing instrument training with @jesse ...

And the day after the shop gets the battery replaced, and I book a flight to get started on the CFII... (more instrument training... of sorts...)...

1fd3e0fedd56344cd47405ba1b685e25.jpg

My nose strut doesn’t like Instrument work apparently.

Co-owner said it was the first time he could reach the fuel caps on our 182 without needing a stepladder, so we have that going for us. LOL.

Was supposed to give him a Flight Review tomorrow, too. So now my maintenance curses are interfering with his life too. Hahaha.

Last edited:
Roseanne_Roseannadanna.PNG

"Well, Jane, it just goes to show you, it's always something — if it ain't one thing, it's another. One day you banging the crap out ya shins in the dark, and next your strut takes a squat. It's like my Latino music teacher A. Juana anda Tooa Annadanda used to always say, after that party when you got really lit up, you are the proud owner of a new red trumpet and an accordion. But when you wake up the next morning with the bad hangover that makes you say, "I thought I was gonna die!" you realize someone sold you a radiator and a fire extinguisher."

We were laughing. The shop can’t get to the other nosewheel shimmy issue until week after next (seven weeks from first call to in the shop... ouch!) but they did stop by and swap a nice properly prepped and charged new battery in after we said we really needed to fly it. The shimmy can be mitigated with taking pressure off the nosegear.

But... we realized...

If that strut let loose before the mechanic came to the hangar, we are thinking he might have walked in and said, “Well, I think I see your nosewheel shimmy problem...” as he did the battery swap.

Hahahaha. Since it wasn’t that way a few days ago.

Best theory right now is it let loose for whatever reason when we hit 105F the other day. Seal got soft, something. No sign of new fluid leaks, but it constantly leaks very slowly and we’re always cleaning it off up there.

By the way, we did have a Concorde battery for those who said to switch, and we went Concorde again even after a long discussion about them having some higher internal resistance both sitting doing nothing and also when charging.

The shop said if the airplane sits a lot they recommend Gill and if not, Concorde. They’ve just had better longevity out of both kids that way for customers.

After they couldn’t reach me by cell (dead spot I guess — got the voice mail indication almost seven hours later, thanks Verizon), asking what our preference was, they saw it had a Concorde, and had made it six years...

So they decided whatever our flying pattern and habits are, it wasn’t killing Concordes, so they put another one in. Fine by us.

The Gill I remembered was the battery prior to the current one.

Next time don't tell Murphy you'll train him......... he's always trying to scam us! Don't fall for the bait!

Nate, I think I know what your problem is. I have had ONE nosewheel strut go flat, and guess when that was? It was when I flew up to KOFK to meet @jesse for dinner, that's when.

See the common theme here?

Yeah my Nebraska curse decided I hadn’t been to Nebraska in too long. Ha.

Well anyway, rented the flight school Skylane and knocked out an IPC today, while my airplane sat in the hangar.

Always something with airplanes! :)

IPC was fun. The advice to do a couple IPCs the years after your initial IR is solid. This one everything “just worked” and no major issues whatsoever. The first IPC after the IR was “iffy” long ago.

So that was a nice surprise. I’d have to look but I haven’t shot an approach under the hood in at least a year. Anyway, it finally feels like that “getting back on a bike” feeling. That’s nice.

Scan was a tad sloppy but only at small times, nothing like the fixation days of old. This was more like “yeah, I looked down at the plate for too long by about ten seconds” and the heading or altitude would be off by a bit.

Flew it in a 182S model which is heavier, and on a hot day here early so it was pushing 90F when we landed, and me and a another big CFI, so everything I have memorized for power numbers in my 182P model needed 2” more of MP but otherwise it flew like a rock solid Skylane...

I left the AP off and Handflew for Harambe since my AP is worthless. Better practice that way, for me.

SEXIST!!!!! YOU'RE SEXIST!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! SEXIST!!!!!!! OMGOMGOMG WAAAAAAHHHHHH

LOL. You guys are baddd.

Our mechanic shop had mercy on us because we were AOG again. Got word that they popped the airplane out of the hangar and fixed allllll our nosewheel and strut issues. Yay.

New bushings for the nosewheel wobble (figured that) and they didn’t have the top one in stock so that’s on order. Tightened up the scissors, and checked bearings and such. Balanced nose tire.

Strut was low on fluid but passed a pressure test so they added fluid and then pumped her back up. It’s been slowly leaking for about six years, so normal Cessna fun. Still might need new seals but we were told to see how it goes on that.

Anyway. No longer AOG! Zeeee Skylane lives again. :)

Back