Shark's tooth?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
OK, now how is this different from the Goldfish? I can see that the symbol is different from the Goldfish, but Rob Dorsey's description leaves me confused and scratching my head. I have no idea how to find either one in Alan Cassidy's book. :confused:

Skip Miller said:

My sentiments exactly. I thought she was talking about those things you get in the junkfood section of the grocery.

Aerobatic routines?

"Alan Cassidy is one of Britain's best-known and most highly experienced aerobatic instructors. He won the British National Aerobatic Championship in 1998, ..."

Len

Diana said:
OK, now how is this different from the Goldfish? I can see that the symbol is different from the Goldfish, but Rob Dorsey's description leaves me confused and scratching my head. I have no idea how to find either one in Alan Cassidy's book. :confused:
Diana,
As you know, these maneuvers are new to me too. I'll simply share with you the way I've been taught to fly both of them and what I've seen watching other pilots fly them.

Both maneuvers start the same way, with a 45 degree upline and a roll to inverted 1/2 way up that line. The inverted segment must be the same length as the upright segment but the airplane is slowing down so it will last longer. Watching an Acro Duster fly the sequence last week, he pulled to the 45, held it about one second, took about three seconds to get it on its back, then held the inverted for two or three seconds (just as a frame of reference).

But the Goldfish then has a looping segment, and it's flown like the back side of a loop. To score well it must be the same radius all the way around, which means floating the top and starting the onset of g's about 1/4 of the way around the loop (depending on the wind). The loop continues all the way to the up 45 again. Don't draw any line until you're on the 45 up, then hold that to pick up the altitude you need and kill the speed in preparation for the split-s which follows. The final segment of the Goldfish is a push off the up 45 to horizontal. To score well this should be a firm push over (so you need a bit of energy left to do it) and not a gradual sinking from 45 up to horizontal.

The shark's tooth does not have a looping segment and, thus, no radius you are required to fly. This is indicated by the angle from 45 degrees up to vertical down, then again from vertical down to level horizontal. While a radius must be "flown" to score well, an angle is "pulled" (or "pushed"). So the shark gets a pretty sharp pull over the top and then requires a definite vertical line straight down lasting at least a one count. Finally, there is a strong pull to horizontal - like out of a hammerhead.

For the record, I have not seen either the Shark's Tooth or the Goldfish flown in a airplane without an inverted fuel and oil system. I'm not sure how you'd set up either maneuver to be able to "coast" up the inverted segment with the prop windmilling, but it sure seems like it would take a lot of smash to make it happen.

(more than you wanted to know I'm sure)

gibbons said:
For the record, I have not seen either the Shark's Tooth or the Goldfish flown in a airplane without an inverted fuel and oil system. I'm not sure how you'd set up either maneuver to be able to "coast" up the inverted segment with the prop windmilling, but it sure seems like it would take a lot of smash to make it happen.

Hmmmm, it must be possible somehow; maybe just a shorter line?

gibbons said:
(more than you wanted to know I'm sure)
It was even more than I had hoped for. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I've been sitting here flying it with my hands. :)

By the time we got to the Shark's Tooth in the Extra, my brain was mush, so I didn't quite get it all. I don't remember a sharp pull at the top of the Tooth.

Diana said:
Hmmmm, it must be possible somehow; maybe just a shorter line?
I'm not at all sure it's possible if you're flying for score. One second (minimum) upright on the 45, then a roll to inverted (3 seconds?), then a line equal in distance to the first segment (2 to 3 seconds - you're pretty slow now and have no thrust), then have enough smash to fly over the top and make a nice, round looping segment.

There's got to be someone on the board who has flown aerobatics without an inverted fuel/oil system. I haven't. How would you fly a segment like this? Is it possible to do without falling out?

Carol said:
My sentiments exactly. I thought she was talking about those things you get in the junkfood section of the grocery.
Carol, you mean those things that look like candy corn, but white? Those are great for a sugar fix. :)

Steve said:
Diana, are you bringing the Blueberria to OSH?
Yes, the Citablueberria will be coming, and hopefully with her bud, the Yellow Peril along side. :)

Back