I fly out of Palo Alto which can be ridiculously busy at times. As I gain
experience I want to do more and more. I was getting a bit annoyed
at times because my instructor would just jump in and take care
of the radio work. I wanted more practice so I felt he was taking
an opportunity away from me.

What I realized though is that it's a CFI's responsibility to manage
the student's workload. If he wants me to focus on something important
such as flying a good pattern he might take care of "other stuff" so
that I can focus on what's important for this particular lesson.

I now have more appreciation of what it takes to be a good instructor.
Balancing workload is very important. As things become more
natural for me I can take on more and more responsibility.

I can't wait until I reach the point where I can solo!

Victor

Good luck on your flight training. Before long your instructor will just sit there and twiddle his/her thumbs. Then it's check ride time...

If you want to handle the radio work, ask for it.

I did this on my second lesson at PAO. It's not THAT hard. Who you're talking to, who you are, where you are, what you want.

Palo Alto Ground Bugsmasher 123XY at West Valley taxi to 31 for left Dumbarton with Foxtrot.

Palo Alto Tower Bugsmasher 123XY over SLAC landing with Romeo.

Sound familiar? There really aren't that many messages, and with the really busy airspace, it's helpful to get the radio confidence early.

If mic fright is a concern, ask the tower for a tour, so you can meet the folks on the other side. They are very accommodating.

Last edited:
Always a tricky call. For radio work I saw make students start with the radio despite the possible immediate detriment of other skills. Get the radio nailed in a busy environment and the is 'cured' of radio stress forever.

Agreed. It's not THAT insane.....usually :)

Where it gets difficult is when the controller starts re-sequencing, asking
for left/right 360's and telling you that you are number 4 and to follow the beechcraft. He might also approve the option if you asked for it.

All this happens when I am trying to set up my approach, changing
flap settings and controlling my airspeed.

The radio work by itself it not incredibly difficult but throw in everything
else at once and it can be stressful.

Thanks for everyone's advice and encouragement!

Victor

If you want to handle the radio work, ask for it.

I did this on my second lesson at PAO. It's not THAT hard. Who you're talking to, who you are, where you are, what you want.

Palo Alto Ground Bugsmasher 123XY at West Valley taxi to 31 for left Dumbarton with Foxtrot.

Palo Alto Tower Bugsmasher 123XY over SLAC landing with Romeo.

Sound familiar? There really aren't that many messages, and with the really busy airspace, it's helpful to get the radio confidence early.

If mic fright is a concern, ask the tower for a tour, so you can meet the folks on the other side. They are very accommodating.

You'll get it eventually, even with the chaos.

If PAO is crowded, Hayward, Livermore, or even Oakland can be much better. They don't all crowd up at the same time. PAO has only one runway, and all three of those alternatives (plus Reid and Concord) have at least two parallel runways. Oakland is surpringly inviting for pattern work, as it's really two adjacent airports and the airliners use 30 while you would use 28L or 28R. The transition over 30 from PAO is a bit complex, so many instructors shy away.

It sucks to wait for half a dozen departures before you take off, with the Hobbs running.

You could also pick a less busy time. Saturday late morning is the worst. Sunday, not so bad.

Tell you something you already know. You just need patience. I'm not a CFI, but I've had a bunch of them in the right seat. They all have their own quirks, so do we though.

I had a super CFI that I really like that would always "tap" the yoke, almost like making a minor adjustment. To me it was like nails on a blackboard. Annoyed the heck out of me, but honestly, I don't think he even knew he was doing it.

Quirks..We all have them...Soon enough your gonna wish you had some help in that right seat to do some radio work while you fly..

Always a tricky call. For radio work I saw make students start with the radio despite the possible immediate detriment of other skills. Get the radio nailed in a busy environment and the is 'cured' of radio stress forever.

I trained at a charlie, 1st lesson Ray handled the radio. Second lesson, he wanted me to make the call to him 1st, then I would make the call on the radio. Third lesson on the radio was mine.

Back