Shared Hangar-how would you handle this situation?

LouisianaLady

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
LouisianaLady
Went to the shared hangar (usually about 3 planes in it) that I rent from the FBO. One of the tenants keeps lots of tools and "stuff" everywhere, but that doesn't bother me- I'm just happy to have a place to put my plane. However, today there was a craftsman tool kit nearby and, evidently, my wing was being used as a workbench! I know this because crap was left on my wing! I took pictures and was so livid I had to leave.

How should I handle this situation? I don't know who the other planes belong to- this is just a temporary hangar that I use until I get one at my home airport. Should I have the plane inspected because I have no idea what other liberties were taken while I'm not there. Should I be concerned from a safety standpoint?

Agreed! Also, anything they want to get back they can purchase or I get to choose where to return it to. (Including, but not limited to, body orifices)

Tape a note to the other plane windshield "You tucha my plane I braka youse face" and sign it Tiny Bonanno.

Uhh...Tell the guy, also send a email to the FBO, stating you already had a talk with him, you think you have it handled but just wanted to let them know.

Tell him something along the lines of, he knows he should shouldn't have his chit on your wing, you'd like to keep a good relationship with everyone and you know he doesn't want to have to pay for a complete repaint and possible sheet metal work on you wing, after all we are a very litigious society, tell him you have photos of the stuff on your wing which you'll let slide this time, but let's not have this talk again.

Last edited:
Uhh...Tell the guy, also send a email to the FBO, stating you already had a talk with him, you think you have it handled but just wanted to let them know.

Tell him something along the lijes of, he knows he should have his chit on your wing, you'd like to keep a good relationship with everyone and you know he doesn't want to have to pay for a complete repaint and possible sheet metal work on you wing, after all we are a very litigious society, tell him you have photos of the stuff on your wing which you'll let slide this time, but let's not have this talk again.

:yeahthat:I don't know what this guy was thinking:dunno:

Went to the shared hangar (usually about 3 planes in it) that I rent from the FBO. One of the tenants keeps lots of tools and "stuff" everywhere, but that doesn't bother me- I'm just happy to have a place to put my plane. However, today there was a craftsman tool kit nearby and, evidently, my wing was being used as a workbench! I know this because crap was left on my wing! I took pictures and was so livid I had to leave.

How should I handle this situation? I don't know who the other planes belong to- this is just a temporary hangar that I use until I get one at my home airport. Should I have the plane inspected because I have no idea what other liberties were taken while I'm not there. Should I be concerned from a safety standpoint?

Get a high wing. It is far more difficult to use one as a workbench. :D

You might TAPE a picture of the tools on your airplane to his wind screen with the most tenacious tape with a warning that he shouldn't do it again,or if you prefer ,Please don't make a habit of this.
You can always claim that you didn't know that the tape removal would harm his plexi glass.:)
Disclaimer:
You must have your own hangar first and leave this as a parting gift.
Inspired by post #4 ,but involves no threat.:D

Last edited:
Id rather not do that passive aggressive letters and super sticky tape stuff.

Didn't mean to say he should make a girly threat, just telling the other guy his plan of action, and if it did happen a second time I'd take a photo of every imperfection on the wing, get a estimate to do any sheet metal and paint work, file with the court and serve him papers. Not a threat at all.

Please post the picture.

I just don't know which guy it is ... I have no problems confronting him, just don't know which one to confront.

Id rather not do that passive aggressive letters and super sticky tape stuff.

Didn't mean to say he should make a girly threat, just telling the other guy his plan of action, and if it did happen a second time I'd take a photo of every imperfection on the wing, get a estimate to do any sheet metal and paint work, file with the court and serve him papers. Not a threat at all.

Actually a great way to deal with this!
I realize how angry this can make someone even if no damage was done. Most of the spiteful responses are never intended to be acted on, just venting.:yesnod:
It is just disrespectful and possibly intentional to get the OP's attention.

I just don't know which guy it is ... I have no problems confronting him, just don't know which one to confront.

Meet them both together or at different times with the picture. Just claim you think the other one the other one did it (or you don't know which one did it). Ask their advise on how to handle it while showing the picture. The non guilty party will nail the other one for implicating him!:rofl:

You could place the picture on YOUR wing with the circle bar symbol as well.

Last edited:
If you take the stuff you will soon know who it belongs to. Then you can have a conversation with them.

Your business is with the FBO... not with the perpetrator. I am also in a shared FBO hangar. I would take the matter up with the FBO, show them the pictures, and let them police their naughty tenant. After that, if the issues continue, you reserve the right to move your plane elsewhere.

In the meantime, enjoy your new tools. Just keep your toolbox locked . . . Any other stuff you don't want, post on eBay.

Was he at least polite enough to set the "stuff" on a towel? If he laid it directly in the wing, he deserves to lose it all.

If you were out flying your airplane then it never would have happened. Fly more, less anger.

I guess we're just plain Jane here in TX.

The guy would probably get something like ...

"keep your **** off my airplane or I'm going to stomp a mudhole in your ass and walk it dry."

I guess we're just plain Jane here in TX.

The guy would probably get something like ...

"keep your **** off my airplane or I'm going to stomp a mudhole in your ass and walk it dry."

:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Of course, one would have to be able to back it up. My using your approach would depend on the other person's size and temperament. Still, I like the way you think. :yes:

He left tools on your wing? You leave poo on his wing.

Take what was left on your wing with you,let him find you,also notify the FBO,as they will be responsible for hangar rash and scratches.

Yup, finders keepers when it's on my wing. They can buy them back, but you gotta come ask. Price is set by seller, not buyer.

:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Of course, one would have to be able to back it up. My using your approach would depend on the other person's size and temperament. Still, I like the way you think. :yes:

Yeah, if he's a big corn fed boy 6' 7" 240lb. you might want to reconsider that tactic.

But one thing that scares the crap out of big guys are little mean women.

It's like elephants and mice. It's a phobia. :D

First, report it to the FBO, then leave a note on the FBO bulletin board in big letters:
"Tools for sale - cheap!"
with a pic of the crap that was on your wing. Then, when the inconsiderate idiot contacts you, let him know that the "community space" in the hangar does not include any part of your airplane. After straightening him out, inspect the heck out of your plane every visit until you're outta there.

First, report it to the FBO, then leave a note on the FBO bulletin board in big letters:
"Tools for sale - cheap!"
with a pic of the crap that was on your wing. Then, when the inconsiderate idiot contacts you, let him know that the "community space" in the hangar does not include any part of your airplane. After straightening him out, inspect the heck out of your plane every visit until you're outta there.

Best post yet....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back