Shakeup at FAA Aeromed

warthog1984

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
LanCA'r
I noticed the top officials listed on the FAA Aeromed website have all changed. Mostly recent hires from non-FAA positions. In addition, none of the prior FAS or deputies appear in the latest FASMB.

Is this a sign of a shakeup at FAA and particularly Aeromed,or no? Would be interested if anybody has a read on this, and how the new people seem to be if you have any knowledge.

Standard after party change?
Doubtful. Most of these guys aren't the "serving at the pleasure" types. Even the FAA adminstrator isn't immediately susceptible to regime changes.

Doubtful. Most of these guys aren't the "serving at the pleasure" types. Even the FAA adminstrator isn't immediately susceptible to regime changes.

Without getting too Spin Zone, I wouldn't bet on this time around.

Dr. Susan Northrup is the new Federal Air Surgeon. She is the former lead regional flight surgeons.

Personally, I'm very optimistic she will serve the agency, flying public, and the aviation community well in the position. She is very airman focused. If you've ever visited the FAA Docs at Sun and Fun or Oshkosh, you've probably talked to her; she's attended all of them in the past. She's an active pilot herself, and "gets it".

Last edited:
Unlike other politicals in the FAA, by law, the administrator serves a five year term.

There are relatively few political appointees in the FAA, the head of airports (because of AIP), chief Counsel, head of legislative affairs, head of policy, and head of communications.

Positions such as head of aviation safety (which includes flight standards, aeromedical, aircraft cert., etc) and Air traffic are specifically not political appointments.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back