SFRA is easy with the instrument rating

Morne

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Morne
Had to be in the greater DC area today for business, so I put my online SFRA training to work. But the thing is if you file IFR (important caveat, you MUST get your clearance on the ground, no air-filing) you can treat it almost like any other airspace. Since I have my instrument rating now I did just that and it was a snap flying into KIAD.

Now don't go looking up the price of Avgas at Dulles. You can ruin your medical with that kind of sticker shock.

The real fun came on the flight back home. Lots of turbulence, got some actual IMC time, picked up a trace of rime ice (my first) and finally had to shoot the VOR 28 back into my home field (my first real loggable approach in actual). Indeed, I did the dive and drive but still couldn't see the field until 2 miles from the MAP. Felt like a real pilot.:D

IAD is a nice airport but yeah, prices are out of sight....

Actually, there is no problem air filing into the SFRA. You can not air file into the FRZ though.

I live under the Dulles downwind. I used to be based there ages ago, and I still fly in a few times a year. Prices are high but not completely rediculous like Boston or NY. Actually, it's even better than Baltimore the last time I checked. I've been treated well by both Signature and Landmark.

I usually file IFR coming in as well but I'll usually tell them I can go VFR if it's easier. Back in the day about half the controllers knew they could bring a small plane on a relatively close downwind and have us dive for the numbers during a gap. Others try to sequence us with the jets at the approach gate. I'm very good at maintaining cruise power until short final.

IAD is a nice airport but yeah, prices are out of sight....

Actually, there is no problem air filing into the SFRA. You can not air file into the FRZ though.
You can't depart VFR and pick up your IFR in the air unless you have also filed a SFRA flight plan.

You can't depart VFR and pick up your IFR in the air unless you have also filed a SFRA flight plan.

You can if you start OUTSIDE the SFRA. I think that was the point he was making. You can't airfile, now how, now where into the FRZ. It has to be done with the one number at the FSS who knows how to validate your magic cookie and alert those watching that you're coming.

In the SFRA you need to have a flight plan and a discrete code.

For the flight plan: You can file the flight plan any way you want (including the radio, aka air file). The flight plan does not have to be opened, just filed.

For the discrete code: You can file a DC SFRA flight plan and get a code, then open your IFR plan in the air or you can negotiate to get the discrete code for your IFR clearance from clearance delivery (they don't have to but often are happy to) and open in the air. This is useful since, at JYO at least, void times are very short.

Bottom line in the SFRA: Never, never, ever, squawk 1200....

The FRZ is a different animal. No air filing allowed.

I ever tell you guys the story of being vectored over the white house at 3,000' MSL about 4 months after 9/11 in a CRJ 200?

For the discrete code: You can file a DC SFRA flight plan and get a code, then open your IFR plan in the air or you can negotiate to get the discrete code for your IFR clearance from clearance delivery (they don't have to but often are happy to) and open in the air. This is useful since, at JYO at least, void times are very short.

The advantage of doing so is that you avoid a possible 'hold for release' and are able to depart on your own schedule using the SFRA squawk. To avoid confusion, it is a good idea to file the IFR flight plan from a VOR some way out of the SFRA and not from your departure airport in the SFRA.

So for a flight from HEF to Kansas City, you have two flight plans:

An SFRA VFR flight plan: HEF --> FLUKY gate
A regular IFR flight plan: EKN --> KOJC

Frankly, while the guidance says file to an exit gate, I've found that outbound you can just file to your destination. The gates were put there to match up inbound flights with the appropriate scope-dope not as any traffic management. It makes zero sense outbound.

Back