SFO VFR Coastline Transition

SloPilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SloPilot
First time flying from SBP North past SFO. Planning on traversing up the coast from Monterey to Southern Oregon.

Is it reasonable to expect clearance on flight following through Bravo at 8500 via the Coastline VFR Transition? Alternative would be a climb to 10500.

Thanks!

When I did the SFO coastline VFR transition last summer, they had me at 3500' going N. That made for spectacular views, so I didn't request anything different. I don't remember the altitude going S, but I think it was the same. Of course, you can always ask for what you want.

8500 will probably work as you'll be above the SFO departures as you pass HAF. They may try and send you to STINS, which may be more offshore than some like.

8500 will probably work as you'll be above the SFO departures as you pass HAF. They may try and send you to STINS, which may be more offshore than some like.
Appreciate the input!

Last time I did the transition heading south I was at 2000ft at night, several frequency changes along the way but it's not too bad. They'll give instructions such as "stay west of xyz landmark" or provide a heading. I've done it twice VFR over the past few years, no problems either time. It's an experience.

20220110_194524.jpg

I'll throw in a vote for 'maybe.'

Transitioning west of the woodside VOR/SFO at 6500' (and 8500') generally hasn't been an issue and i've been cleared for it several times, but earlier this year there were numerous times controllers denied this per local FB groups. This happened to me back in May, so I said 'F U' then and climbed to 10500. The next controller immediately cleared me back to 6500 since 10500 was an issue for arrivals. Thanks for making extra work for your partner ATC. :rolleyes:

If it were me having not done it before, I’d suggest trying the Bayshore route up 101. They will often put you there at 2,000 feet, and it will offer you an amazing overhead transition of SFO and the city. From SBP if you fly direct to VPSLA near PAO, that is a decent transition point to then follow 101/bayshore the rest of the way. If you pick up flight following, you’ll get switched over to Norcal north of BSR, and you can start to coordinate with them. That gives you plenty of time to decide which direction you want to go. The first controller you talk to won’t be able to give you the bravo clearance yet, but he’ll probably know how busy things are at SFO and be able to suggest which route is going to be easiest for them to coordinate.

Back