SFO-500 miles radius family fun location

What's wrong with Mariposa? I was there just about 4 years ago and they had friendly people and rental cars on site... I rented one for the day and went to Yosemite.
I've definitely heard good things about KMPI, but that wasn't my experience a few years ago, is all I'll say :) (the walk into town isn't the nicest I've ever done, but it's not too long for this inveterate walker). Maybe it's better in-season?

This is the kind of real information that we all need... Thank you very much!!!

Follow-up on Furnace Creek: The whole venue is SHUT DOWN through May 22 this year. The INN’s normal season was October to May 31, so Inn is likely out this year.

woywoyboy provided good information so I wandered off. : no fuel, no ropes, no attendants, no night ops.
About a mile walk to Ranch office, store, and cafe. Can cut through golf course for shade.
Lots of things for kids to do at the Ranch.

Inn and Ranch used to pick-up at the apron, but I do not know since Xanterra bought the outfit. I have seen the rental jeeps at the apron 2 years ago.
You will need to ask the vendors what they do now. Jeep rental and tour season is September through May.

Wildflowers are a really big deal: this year was low, and likely too late. A good year every 10-20 years, and two were recently.

Your question about WATER
: water is a personal decision.
As a twin you likely have time to get a call off and to find a better parking space.
As an older single-engine I always have a quart per occupant in our survival vests, every flight.
When gunk-holing or camping I will have 3 gallons or more. I also have a PLB, an old Spot and the ELT.

Three cautions:
· The whole region has high-speed, low-level military training traffic as in fighters (and osprey). As in BELOW MOAs floor; one hit a rock last year.
· The Owens Valley winds can be a surprise at times, beyond just the weather reports. Especially crossing the Sierras from/to the west.
Maybe call Bishop. Sometime it is best to go around the entire area and approach Death Valley from the east.
Can be windy at the airport too: bring good ropes.​
· Temperature: can be cold too: snows. Below sea-level, but density altitude needs to be watched.​

Great place to fly, just learn carefully. Avoid summers.

Or drive over: ~5 hours, hit Bodie on way. The old-west movie museum and the Alabama Hills in Lone Pine are good. The WW2 internment camp has some history for the kids.

--Bill

OAR is always deserted couldn’t find ground transportation last time..
MRY.. do I must go to FBO (not sure about the fees etc)
or is there another option like transient etc.. I think I read something aerodynamic aviation allowing people to park or something..

Del Monte at MRY is very friendly and usually waives fees if you top off and are nice.

Consider Big Bear. Lovely place, fun all year. Just watch density altitude.

Back