SF Fleet Week / Blue Angels Air Show 10-7-2011 through 10-9-2011

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
A sample of what's going on - ship tours and airshow all FREE (full details at http://www.fleetweek.us/page_events.html )

Saturday, October 8th 2011

Parade of Ships - 1st ship under the GG Bridge will be USS Carl Vinson at 11am. All ships will berth along the northern San Francisco waterfront

Ship Tour Pier 30-32, USS BONHOMME RICHARD, LHD 8am-4pm

Marine Band performing at the Cable Car Turn Around in Union Square at 11:00am , then will march up to The Marines Memorial Club at 609 Sutter Street

Fleet Week Air Show 12:30pm - 4:00pm

Humanitarian Assistance Disaster Response Display on Marina Green 9am-5pm

W Foundation's Navy in Space Exhibit on Marina Green

Anthem Health’s Bringing Back Recess exhibit on Marina Green

PIER 39-First Marine Division Band 2-3pm, LoveFool 4-7pm

Marine Band Concert at Huntington Park - 6pm - 7pm

Air Show Details:

Air Show Performers

• Coast Guard HH-65 Rescue Demonstration

• Patriots Jet Team

• Navy EA-6B Prowlers

• USAF B-2 Bomber (Saturday only)

• USMC MV-22 Osprey

• RCAF Snowbirds Jet Team
  • Navy F-18 Super Hornet
  • United Airlines 747
  • USAF F-15 Strike Eagle
  • Sean D. Tucker & Team Oracle
  • [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]US Navy Blue Angels
    [/FONT]

Is anyone planning to attend? If so, where do you like to watch (for free)? The marina, Treasure, Island, the headlands?

They are selling $30 seats with tickets but I don't think this is needed.

Is anyone planning to attend? If so, where do you like to watch (for free)? The marina, Treasure, Island, the headlands?

They are selling $30 seats with tickets but I don't think this is needed.
Headlands of course! Marin FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I saw a video of one of the blues from a previous fleet week show and I was simply amazed. The plane came screaming in very low to the water and had picked up a large vapor trial from being so fast and low.

I saw a video of one of the blues from a previous fleet week show and I was simply amazed. The plane came screaming in very low to the water and had picked up a large vapor trial from being so fast and low.

Cool. I feel bad I've never seen the show and I've lived here 32 years. I canceled my Saturday tailwheel lesson after checking the forecast (clear both Sat and Sun) and whether or not my boyfriend goes with me gosh darn it I'm gonna see the airshow this year. Traffic will be a pain but oh well.

I've seen the Blues about 15 times but Fleet Week is a most memorable time. One year I watched from the GG. Another from a schooner in the turning basin. A third whilst idling near YB island.

I've seen the Blues about 15 times but Fleet Week is a most memorable time. One year I watched from the GG. Another from a schooner in the turning basin. A third whilst idling near YB island.

I am doing research now and most (but not all) boats are sold out. There is a schooner in Sausalito and the SS Jeremiah still available. How cool is that - !

I am doing research now and most (but not all) boats are sold out. There is a schooner in Sausalito and the SS Jeremiah still available. How cool is that - !
Book NOW for the Jeremiah!

BTW: I'd never been on Jeremiah but I hear it's a great venue. Other times I have been on private vessels. Too late for this year but why aren't you with one of the many yacht clubs? Sailing SF Bay should be on your bucket list.

Last edited:
I can't - I need to talk to my date first. He is not answering his phone because tonight they are meeting to discuss the construction of duck blinds for hunting season LOL.
He's a duck hunter!

Muscle cars, hunter, etc...your are seriously OTS to wait so long.

Silly question, I know, but I've never "officially" been to / seen a complete airshow.

Does anyone know if I make the trek to Chrissy Field if there will be an announcer?

Or if I can simply bring a radio, dial it in to some frequency, and listen from my vantage point at - let's say - the Embarcadero or Treasure Island?

I know they do that at other airshows but not sure about SF.

Silly question, I know, but I've never "officially" been to / seen a complete airshow.

Does anyone know if I make the trek to Chrissy Field if there will be an announcer?

Or if I can simply bring a radio, dial it in to some frequency, and listen from my vantage point at - let's say - the Embarcadero or Treasure Island?

I know they do that at other airshows but not sure about SF.

It is best to bring a aviation handheld and scan the freqs looking for the "airboss" frequency... It usually will be a rather discrete number you have not seen used in normal ATC stuff... You will be a hit with all the people standing around you as they can hear the action... Altho the Blues and Thunderbirds will not be able to be heard as they use a digital set up..

Ben.

It is best to bring a aviation handheld and scan the freqs looking for the "airboss" frequency... It usually will be a rather discrete number you have not seen used in normal ATC stuff... You will be a hit with all the people standing around you as they can hear the action... Altho the Blues and Thunderbirds will not be able to be heard as they use a digital set up..

Ben.

That sounds awesome but I don't own an aviation handheld.

I was honestly just trying to find out if I should go buy batteries for a "normal" radio with a speaker that I keep in my apartment. I normally plug it in the wall but I think it takes a bunch of "C" or "D" batteries. Wouldn't want to bring it and power it up if there is no announcer or if the broadcast range for their frequency is only within a few feet of Chrissy Field. My other thought is that they "use" a local SF radio station to announce the show. There is one show this afternoon so perhaps I can figure it out on my own my tuning in to the various SF radio stations in my car.

It's like someone convinced me when I was trying to schedule / manage the absolute perfect Shuttle launch experience: "Don't over think it, just go, watch, and enjoy. You can't help but have good memories!"

Boy, was that an understatement! :D

It's like someone convinced me when I was trying to schedule / manage the absolute perfect Shuttle launch experience: "Don't over think it, just go, watch, and enjoy. You can't help but have good memories!"

Boy, was that an understatement! :D

Thanks but I've got 3 non-pilot guests I'm driving through potential horrible traffic and if I'm asking them to stand still and look up for 4 hours it would be nice if I brought the announcer voice thing.

OMG. Sort of as a joke I asked the BF why we couldn't launch HIS boat and navigate all around the bay and the Golden Gate Bridge.

To my surprise, he said we COULD. I got the Coast Guard information and boat launching. Should be a blast. I know he doesn't like salt water and prepping / washing the boat is a pain - also launching by 8am from Sausalito for a "guaranteed" spot kind of sucks. But how cool that I get to drive the boat around the Bay if we actually do this. I of course offered to wash the boat and put gas in it etc....

Like our own private airshow! One other couple may or may not go with us, but wow what a way to see the Blue Angels.

blue-angels-01.jpg

See the boats? That might be us on Sunday! How exciting.

Thanks but I've got 3 non-pilot guests I'm driving through potential horrible traffic and if I'm asking them to stand still and look up for 4 hours it would be nice if I brought the announcer voice thing.

I can buy that.

But people can surprise you. Took my typical early-teen, don't like little planes, love me the facebook and glued to my Ipod daughter to the aforementioned shuttle launch, making her fly four hours to be part of the experience, you'll thank me later and all that. Quite shockingly, first thing she said after the SRB plume started to fade away: "Can we do this again sometime?"

Granted, we had the countdown announcer on the radio, so I suppose you have a very valid point! :)

blue-angels-01.jpg

See the boats? That might be us on Sunday! How exciting.

Is there any way that I can mention that I've flown two out of the six planes in that photo without it sounding like a complete brag? Probably not. Well, I've flown the two planes under Sean. The two Extras with the checkerboard noses are both in my logbook.

Right place, right time. :yesnod:

Is there any way that I can mention that I've flown two out of the six planes in that photo without it sounding like a complete brag? Probably not. Well, I've flown the two planes under Sean. The two Extras with the checkerboard noses are both in my logbook.

No, but perhaps you can tell me how to be at the right place at the right time?

I can't believe I was on a BOAT and surrounded by yachts and underneath hours of aerobatics. Best day ever. The Oracle plane was cool but I think the blue angels canceled (?) since I saw Fat Albert fly and circle, then the angels in their diamond formation, but the fog had gotten so thick they went into the fog on their third circle (no tricks yet) and then we never saw them again. The seas were getting so rough we hurried back to the dock so I'm not 100% sure.

Pictures are on his camera so I'll get them when I can. There were plenty of Jet teams like the Patriots and the Snowbirds. Even an Osprey.

Braggard or not that is REALLY COOL. :D

No worries. If you can land a Pitts, you deserve to brag!

oh my goodness I can't believe the photos we took.....

Plus I got to drive the boat sometimes.....

Best day ever - this photo will show you why.

6233235890_6b48c8c373_z.jpg

Back