SF Bay tour advice

rhvpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RHV PILOT
Hi guys,

I am taking family on bay tour, will appreciate the advice on route/altitude from KRHV.

Thanks

Subject has been extensively discussed....

You've never done a Bay Tour from Reid? You've been there for years.

I like to cross SJC midfield, climb 3500, follow 101 all the way to Golden Gate Bridge, cross Alcatraz and Treasure Island descending to 2000 (if Approach hasn't already put me there), then follow 880 all the way back to Reid.

Literally just sat down from getting back from an all day Bay Tour with some outta state friends. Up one side of SFO, zip around and down the other side of the bay is typical. You can go up MAKG1's route or up the East Bay under Bravo and east of OAK...once you are up in the Bay you are free to maneuver around the Bay, most of Downtown, Alcatraz, Angel Island and the Golden Gate all you want remaining NW of the Bay Bridge and N of the 2100' SFO Bravo Ring. There was a ton of traffic at 1500' and 2000' not talking...NorCal suggested 2500' which I did and allowed me to maneuver around more freely with less traffic conflicts.

I can tell ya tomorrow it will be a freakin ZOO in the air for as nice of a day that is expected. There will be a lot of folks with the same idea as you. On FF there will not be a moment of silence on the radio. It was already busy today and I have been up on nice weekend days and seen how crazy it can get.

Up and down the Peninsula I prefer remaining west of 280...tend to have less traffic conflicts with PAO and SQL.

Did I mention it will be busy?

You've never done a Bay Tour from Reid? You've been there for years.

I like to cross SJC midfield, climb 3500, follow 101 all the way to Golden Gate Bridge, cross Alcatraz and Treasure Island descending to 2000 (if Approach hasn't already put me there), then follow 880 all the way back to Reid.
MakG
I did it a couple of times about 2 years ago but remember some difficulty on bravo clearance. But I hear people going around SF no problem. Wanted to get fresh and current thoughts.

At 3500 how do get thru SF bravo?

If on FF just request "Bay Tour" that is an actual thing they know vs giving them a destination then once close to Bravo "NorCal, request Bravo Transition up the peninsula"

Expect instructions of 3500' and to remain south/west of either 101 or 280 while in Bravo. Easy Peasy.

for ATC "Bay Tour" just means you are gonna wander around and sight see and a lap around the whole Bay and Peninsula is typical....no prescribed route other than the Bravo transition.

Back