Severe storms...

MooneyDriver78

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
For those without hangars, what’s your strategy when severe weather is forecasted?

40b204253b9ee6479a6fb44669cd5b32.jpg

Pray and don't worry about it - insurance. Stuff happens, life is too short to worry. That and I made nicer tie down straps that use climbing carabiners for clips as opposed to ropes so I don't worry about it coming untied.

I worry about my plane, and it's in a hangar! If I was tied down outside with severe storms looming, I would find an fbo with some hangar space, or move the plane outside the danger area. Nice thing about airplanes is that even the slow ones are still relatively fast.

Yep I worry slightly and mine is in a hangar. If something happens that's what insurance is for. Second week now we are a level 5 risk and everything is shutting down again. It's bizarre, I say that because it's spring in the south east, this is normal weather! And when I mean shut down I mean shut down like an ice day in the south. We are right smack in the middle of that pink area too.

You choice if outside is ride it out, move it to a community hangar at the FBO or fly it outside of the storm area.

We're at the edge of the moderate and enhanced, and they're closing schools early and sending the kids home.

We're at the edge of the moderate and enhanced, and they're closing schools early and sending the kids home.
Yep same here, I'm in columbus, MS. Schools are closed and everything closing down by 11.

Our area has been hit by tornados over the years, last year friends of ours lost everything, cars and house leveled. We take the possibility of tornados very seriously now.

Our area has been hit by tornados over the years, last year friends of ours lost everything, cars and house leveled. We take the possibility of tornados very seriously now.
Yeah man, let’s hope we don’t have a repeat of last year! :fcross:

A friend of mine had his Skylane hailed on. Insurance cut him a check. Thank goodness for hangars. I'm on pins and needles every time I'm in the open. Only strategy I know is if there are storms coming and you're out in the open, move.

Nice:

* LOCATIONS...
Central and Northern Mississippi
Northern Alabama
Western and Middle Tennessee

* HAZARDS...
Numerous tornadoes, several intense and long track
Widespread damaging winds, some hurricane force
Scattered large hail, some baseball size

* SUMMARY...
A tornado outbreak -- including the threat of a few
long-tracked, violent tornadoes -- is expected today into early
this evening over the Southeast, especially parts of
Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee. Tornadoes, large to very
large hail, and damaging winds to hurricane force also are
possible over a broad area from the central Gulf Coast to the
Ohio Valley and southern Appalachians.

Yep and my work has shut down. Get to batten down the hatches! Stay safe

Yep and my work has shut down. Get to batten down the hatches! Stay safe

Second shift cancelled, we on 1st shift may go at our discretion. So far, nothing I'm seeing to chase me home.

Isn’t this part of the reason why insurance is less expensive for hangared aircraft especially in common weather torn areas?

Back